Chapter 28

鬼

It was an endless ride. At some times, they took turns as to who was going to guide the ostrich horse around. For a while, Shoko held onto the reins while Zuko grabbed onto his waist from behind and rested his chin on the boy's shoulder, sleeping peacefully. Shoko couldn't help but admire the Prince's handsome and innocent face. He smiled softly before turning back to face the road. 

It was dusk when they finally stopped. Iroh was cooking vegetables Song's mother gave him for their trip. Shoko sat on a rock while he undid his braid and let his hair fall free. Zuko faced him discreetly, his eyes saddening. They hadn't spoken a word since their fight and were both currently drowning in guilt. 

Shoko closed his eyes tightly. He was very confused as well. But he quickly shot them open when a particular kiss crossed his mind.

'Maybe I overreacted. But I don't regret pulling away. I don't regret my behavior, and I don't regret running away from Zuko. But what if I hurt him? I'm afraid that-'

"Hey."

He reopened his eyes and saw Zuko standing in front of him.

"Hi."

"Stars are nice, aren't they?" 

Shoko slightly smiled, "I prefer the moon."

Zuko hummed in response. He soon found himself spreading his hand out for Shoko to take. The younger boy hesitantly accepted and allowed Zuko to wrap his arm around his waist. They then started to sway around under the cover of the night.

"I'm... I'm sorry about last night" Zuko said silently, "I shouldn't have said that to you."

"Apology accepted" Shoko looked down at his feet before slowly placing his arms around Zuko's neck. "And I'm sorry if I hurt you. You know, by running away."

"No, you didn't actually" Zuko took a deep breath before continuing. "I have no idea why I did what I did."

"You said I distracted you, does that mean you liked me?" Shoko asked, scared of what the answer was going to be.

Zuko swayed yet remained silent. "I don't know." He finally spoke. "You remind me of my very first love and that distracts but also confuses me."

Shoko smiled softly, "I see... so you still love him?"

Zuko blushed furiously. "What?! No! And why are you assuming it's a he!?"

"Well, I don't think you've ever kissed a girl. Considering you tantrums and what went down last night-"

"Just shut up. Okay look, my feeling are all over the place-"

"I can tell" Shoko jokes, shrinking back with a nervous smile when Zuko sent a glare at him. 

"I don't know why I kissed you. I can't even decide what is what..."

"So I confuse you?"

"Yeah, you do, unfortunately," Zuko sighed. "But that doesn't explain your weird reaction when... you know."