Chapter 44

鬼

"So now that we have a very skilled firebender in the team," Sokka started, "Finding Aang a firebender teacher would no long be a problem."

Mio bit his lower lip, he was afraid they'd jump to conclusions. "Sokka, there's kind of a small problem..."

"What? Aren't you all-powerful and wise?" Sokka rose a suspisous brow. 

"Yeah - wait what? I never said I was all-powerful - uh, whatever," He looked down at his feet as if he were almost ashamed to spit the truth out. "I just can't."

"Why?" Sokka insisted. 

"Sokka, please, I just need space" Mio frowned, "I uh-"

"Why? Aren't we supposed to be training to defeat the Fire Lord?"

Mio's eyes narrowed as he looked up at them, annoyance rose rather quickly. "Because I fucking lost it!" The others lept back from surprise. He exhaled sharply, taking a few steps backward with a worried look plastered on his face, "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you, Sokka" He mentally cursed at himself when he noticed Sokka's shocked look.

"I've lost my inner fire."

"Is that even possible?" Katara finally spoke, giving the others enough courage to step forward as well. 

"When we first met, my fire was weak because I was afraid that I'd lose control. But when I met Zuko, my fire burned brighter and warmer. Most inner fires are fueled by anger and hatred, but not mine. I'm sorry, but I can't firebend."

"Because this time you've lost him for good," Katara finished. Mio nodded, standing up and walking toward Aang. He placed a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder and wore a half-smile. 

"I'm sorry, Aang. The only thing I could teach you is hand-to-hand combat. But I don't think you'd be interested much."

"It's no problem, really, Mio. Don't upset yourself" The short Avatar smiled brightly.

Mio tried to mimic Aang's smile. He turned to Sokka when he started speaking, "Do you know how to use a sword?"

He nodded in response, "Yeah. I kinda had to if I wanted to last in the academy."

"Well, if you don't mind, I would like to train with you sometime later," He pulled out a sword, "With my space sword!" He exclaimed, visibly proud of his creation.

Toph contained her laughter with her hands pressed onto her mouth while Katara playfully rolled her eyes. 

"I accept. Though I won't hold back." Mio perked up as a thought crossed his mind, "By the way, I need to go to town tomorrow, there are some things I need to buy."

"You can tag along with me and Aang, we're running a bit low on food" Katara explained.

Mio nodded as they agreed on their plans. He then started to walk over to the lake he had cleaned himself in. He took a seat on a fallen tree's trunk, closing his eyes and bending a small and calm stream of water which he soon turned into balls of ice.