Chapter 34

鬼

Shoko groaned in pain as they continued riding the ostrich horse. 

"Maybe we should make camp" Zuko suddenly suggested. 

"What? Just for me? No" Shoko replied before groaning once more. "Well, on second thought, maybe we could-"

As they dismount, the ostrich horse made a strange noise. Almost like it was alarmed by something nerby. Zuko then immediately took on a fighting stance, ready to defend himself for what was to come. 

"What now?" Iroh asked from behind his nephew.

A group of men all rode on each of their rhinos as they began to circle around the three firebenders. 

"Colonel Mongke! What a pleasant surprise!" Iroh exclaimed with a wide smile. 

"If you're surprised we're here, then the Dragon of the West has lost a few steps" Mokgke spoke. 

The men all prepared themselves for battle, pulling out their preferred weapons into view.

"You know these guys?" Zuko turned to ask his Uncle.

"Sure. Colonel Mongke and the Rough Rhinos are legendary. Each one is a different kind of weapon specialist. They are also a very capable singing ground" Iroh explained, causing a quiet snicker to fall from Shoko's lips.

Mongke raised his fist, readying himself. "We're not here to give a concert. We're here to apprehend fugitives!"

"Would you like some tea first? I'd love some. How about you, Kachi? I make you as a Jasmine man. Am I right?"

The man named Kachi glared at him with silence as his response. "Enough stalling! Round them up!" Mongke ordered.

One man swung his chained ball toward Iroh, who kicked it away without a sweat. The chain wrapped itself around the leg of a nearby rhino. Iroh tumbled over the ground dodging two fire blasts. He rose back up and hit the rhino in the rear, making it dash away, yanking the warrior mounted along with it. Iroh simply waved goodbye as he watched them run off.

The archer shot a lit arrow at Zuko. He quickly knocked the arrow away and released a fire blast, burning a small hole in the archer's bow. But the Prince's actions halted once he desperately looked around in search of a certain long-haired idiot.

"Uncle, where's Shoko!?" Zuko faced Iroh but their eyes widened when they both looked over to see Mongke's hold became tighter as he pressed a knife against Shoko's neck.

Shoko frowned. His hands quickly found their way up to Mongke's arm which held the knife and twisted it harshly, earning a pained grunt to fall from the man's lips. He jerked the man to the side, and once he regained his balance, he was knocked to the floor once more when a large glob of water came crashing down on him.