3.24

"You are a coward."

Aisultan and Elijah entered the expansive dance hall. The orchestra continued to play despite their late entrance. A wave of red eyes fixated on the pair as they walked in. Aisultan with his faint flush and Elijah with a pallor healthier than its regular ghoulish pale.

The vampires, too absorbed in their original conversations, quickly resumed chatting amongst themselves. But recognition spread like wildfire as Elijah passed by groups–every vampire making way and clearing the path. The faint whisper of 'Wolf-Slayer' echoed in and out like a shadowy wraith.

"Pay it no heed. It is no insult. Simply a title of past glory, according to them."

Elijah bumped Aisultan's shoulder. Although Aisultan's posture remained relaxed, his ears sharply perked up. Golden-meshed cuffs gleamed beneath the chandelier light.

"But... I can tell you dislike it," he said.

The vampire stopped for half a beat. Aisultan's unhappy gaze stared over, and instantly, the stuffy annoyance of the crowds cleared away from his mind.

"Perceptive," Elijah noted with a smile.

"It does nothing to stroke my ego by stating the obvious," he scoffed, watching Elijah too, unknowingly relax his stiff posture and shake his head.

He led Aisultan past the winding stairwell at the back of the hall which was as grandiose as the ballroom itself. Whispers faded away as suits and gowns paired together with the start of a new song.

Thick, tied curtains revealed the overarching windows. Red moonlight bled through onto the shiny, tiled floor. Smaller balcony entrances interspersed between the windows–through a wayward glance, vampires stood intimate outside, where lips were most common to be found pressed against necks.

Elijah stopped at the farthest corner entrance, pushing it open while turning to speak to Aisultan.

"Alyssa and I tend to chat here post-pleasantries, it–"

Upon stepping outdoors, his words froze on his tongue. Sat on the balcony was Fen'ra, dressed in a dress shirt and dress pants. Her suit jacket sprawled on the floor, forgotten. Her hair was coiled tight into a thick bun, her tie was haphazardly loosened with urgency, and her collar was undone.

Alyssa leaned against Fen'ra's chest with Fen'ra's wrist to her lips–fangs embedded within. Fen'ra's head ducked down. She whispered something in her ear that made Alyssa jerk away with a flush and Aisultan chuckle beside him.

The women paused, aware of the men's presence.

Fen'ra frowned, "Aisultan, Vampire. Ally and I have not finished. Return later."

Elijah reeled in shock. Aisultan raised a brow. And Alyssa laughed, straightening her flowy, deep burgundy gown glittering with every movement.

"Are you a dog? Have you no manners?" Alyssa scoffed.

Fen'ra pulled Alyssa close with an arm, rubbing her face in the crook of Alyssa's neck.

"Only your dog, Ally. I am loyal to only you."

She lifted her head, gazing at Alyssa with a gaze burning and expectant of praise. Alyssa's eyes softened as she tucked a dark little coil of hair behind Fen'ra's ear.

"Yes, very loyal. You've been a good girl, love."

Elijah coughed, turning away from the sickeningly sweet PDA. "I knew... Alyssa was having trouble with a wolf chasing her around, but... not in this way. She was being... courted?"