3.25

And deathly quiet followed. 

His eyes caught Sophie as she pre-emptively put a tight palm to her nose. She melted a hole through the wall and jumped down, cutting through the exposed, nighttime air.

Elijah's heart pounded with heavy, lurching beats—the thick, ambrosia scent filled his nostrils. He slapped a hand to his nose and mouth, but his pupils uncontrollably dilated with murky crimson, shaking as they searched for the source.

The broken vial shattered against the wall—caramelized blood.

Thirst overtook his senses and scorched his throat like wildfire. He cursed with heavy breaths.

"Damn her."

Elijah's pupils dangerously fixed on Aisultan, who clicked his tongue. Sophie melted through his ice, even as he tried to obstruct her. Aisultan turned to Elijah worriedly.

"What was it she threw at—"

Elijah launched himself into Aisultan's embrace. Aisultan tripped backward from the movement. His arms looped around Elijah's waist, steadying them both.

"Elijah, what're you..."

Aisultan's voice echoed fuzzily. Elijah's senses overrode from the delicious source of blood. He trembled; forehead pressed against Aisultan's neck as he teetered on the precipice of insanity. Their warm breaths melted together and their damp skin intermingled, as if to ignite. The hot, volcanic rush below soft, paper-thin, and pierceable skin. The scabbing where his fangs cut earlier—reddened from bite marks.

Elijah's face flushed with feverish heat. Cinnamon choked out any other scent; the smell numbed the thick, chokehold of blood filling his throat. His lips brushed upward, tantalizingly close against Aisultan's skin—almost kissing it with flutters.

Aisultan's gentle hand caressed his nape, before pushing Elijah's head against his chest. Aisultan wrapped him into a tight hold. Elijah's limbs were restricted and unable to reach his neck. Amber eyes trained on the oozing blood congealing on the floor. Aisultan outstretched his free hand. Ice froze over the entire section of the wall and floor with solid ice, burying the blood beneath.

Elijah clutched Aisultan tightly, inhaling cinnamon as he steeled himself against his own desperate, wailing desires to forcefully indulge in blood. Every sensation whipped past his senses. How Aisultan's cool fingertips pressed down on his nape. How the river of blood pulsed forward in his veins and arteries. How the heat of the body encased against him.

Everything clawed away at Elijah's fortitude.

He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes with difficulty, wincing from the shuddering resistance.

With every slow, long-ticking second, Elijah regained his self-control and loosened his tight fists. Sweat dripped down his face as he sighed within Aisultan's hug. Warm and steadying. Elijah let himself lean against the man with a dry chuckle.

Aisultan acted in quick succession—and even now—remained calm as he guarded Elijah.

"Clever boy," Elijah whispered.

The swaying tail thumped against Elijah's side quicker.

"Caramelized blood, yes? Eli mentioned it before."

Elijah, growing used to the intimate, comfy posture, nodded into Aisultan's chin. He didn't take any initiative to step out from the embrace—nor did Aisultan let him go.

"Quite the foul trick she pulled," Elijah said. "We'll see how deep her plotting goes when she's caught."

"Eli's ring was only the instigator—an opportunity for her plan to come to fruition," Aisultan continued, brushing strands of Elijah's hair back in place.