3.13

"One slip of my hood and every human on the street pins me down and drowns me in holy water."

Aisultan returned to chiming bells of laughter. Eli stood up from the floor, wiped tears from his eyes, and almost stumbled back as he stepped away. He barely managed to regain his footing, still laughing.

"You're just, hahaha—so riled up, Elijah! Do you really hate this attire so much?"

Eli's put-together outfit garnered an uncommon elegance and regal beauty; less a standard suit and more flashy than most, with ruffles and glinting gold accessories. It lacked the attention to formality. His jacket sat crooked on his shoulders and his hair a little more than lopsided with his every jolting movement.

Aisultan had more than an inkling regarding why Elijah was unhappy.

"I don't believe it is the outfit Elijah has taken insult to, but rather your..."

"—'My uncouth attitude', as Elijah would say." Eli incited another burning glare from the tortoise, which in turn caused another bubbling spring of laughter. The tortoise turned and pleaded for help—Aisultan coughed lightly, seating himself with a relaxed posture. His tail waved slowly—sometimes hovering over the tortoise's head with a teasing sway.

Not long after, Eli leaned in closer, staring at the tail with a squint. "My eyes don't deceive me, do they? Surely even as a tortoise, my vision isn't the poorest. There was more than one earlier."

Aisultan nodded wryly, "The truth was to come out eventually." He waved a hand.

In an instant, the room glimmered with a silver-blue glow before dissipating. Ice shards revealed themselves, floated close to Aisultan, and dispersed into mist. And with the fading light, Eli's eyes widened at the sight of nine tails, each as fluffy and large as the original.

"Why hide them?"

Aisultan laughed, "I suppose you should try and guess why."

"Ah, I've never interacted with a fox spirit before you. Do be kind!"

"Yes right," he shook his head, smiling. Every tail flickered in mesmerizing sync. "In my tribe of Arctic Fox spirits, tails indicate power–both innately and societally. The more tails, the higher ranked you are."

"And at most, how many tails can you have?" Eli wondered. He was unable to extricate himself from the moving tails that fanned out and shifted over to his side.

"Nine."

Eli shot up with excitement; he paced around Aisultan.

"Eight...nine! You have nine! The highest ranking fox spirit–made to do garden work by Elijah...and forced to dig around a dirty closet with me, ah!!"

Aisultan shook his head, smiling. "I wouldn't have you treat me any differently. I apologize for hiding it for so long. It was an ingrained precaution taught by my kinsmen. To protect against immediate aggression and suspicion from other tribes and demons. Upon returning home, there were more important things to worry about than concealing myself from you–the thunder brought my spirit to shambles, and Elijah and I were far more of a priority while escaping."

"Are you alright?"

"Hm?" Aisultan blinked, not comprehending the sudden interjection.

Eli touched his own ears. "Are you alright now, after all of that thundering?"

"Yes, I am fine. In fact, I'm more ashamed regarding my reaction–what an embarrassing moment for me. And I full well knew coming into this area would require further protective enchantments." He paused touching a thinly chained necklace beneath his collar, before continuing.