4.17

"I want to be forgiven by you."

"What are you waiting for?"

After Amari spoke, he looked over, curious at the man who was standing to the side, inspecting a silver blossoming tree for far longer than they had already. He thought maybe Leishan would soak it in for a moment, perhaps two, but he didn't think the man would be so obsessed—Amari absentmindedly wondered if Leishan fox pelt was the same silvery hue, almost glowing the way the branches did with dewdrops.

No, he answered in his heart, Leishan's pelt gleamed with much more shine and light. He probably took wondrous care of it. Leishan looked over at the sound of light jingling, a noise nostalgic to his ears. Amari pulled his hair aside as he laughed, eyes closed and air losing its force with the final wheeze.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, nothing. I just, I had an interesting image of you appear in my mind. Courtesy of memories of the past, I believe I have myself an imagination rife with colorful things."

Leishan reeled back in a faint nervousness. "What sort of things could you imagine? Surely nothing embarrassing."

"No, no. Far from it. Just very endearing. Say, remember that fox you once told me about? The one you owned," Amari said, dragging the last word out with a playful twang.

Leishan stiffened before following Amari's stride and running after him. They passed through the archway, reaching near the edge of the silver blossom orchard.

"I do recall speaking to you about that."

Amari wove through the tree trunks. He twisted his torso this way and that, long sleeves floating along as he went from trunk to trunk. Leishan remained near, turning in tandem to this certain tree then that, noticing a faint discrepancy from what he was looking for.

"I remember... you said the little fox of yours was a simple little thing. I never got a chance to say 'Well, when I meet this so-called dim fox in person, I would be more than excited since foxes are my favorite creatures.'

Amari spoke mildly, as if commenting on the ordinarily mundane. But, by the increasing red of Leishan's expression, perhaps it had done too much damage. Amari smiled at him, pausing to reach over and slip his hand into Leishan's. It fit like a warm summer's breeze. A bit clammy, but that was to be expected.

Leishan didn't flinch away, allowing Amari to guide him down the orchards. He found himself realizing that this certain part west of Amari's manor had lined up like an arched tunnel. Near the end—a large silver plum blossom was ripe with buds, branches spreading upward to welcome the sky. Leishan's heart rang with a chime, as if tapped crisp by a wooden mallet. Familiarity rushed through him.

A slow smile crept up Leishan's lips.

"You see it, yes?"

Amari peered over with a knowing look.

"I do," Leishan whispered, putting a hand on the trunk.

He traced down to the base of the roots, where the ghost of an image ran through his mind. A small carving was there. The phantom sensation of snow and petals tickled Leishan's neck. Amari tightened his grip. As if afraid that Leishan would be imbued with some kind of rage toward him, afraid that he had truly come to collect a deserved retribution from Amari.

Leishan squeezed back.

"When did you first remember, Amari?"

"Around two years ago. The memories come back slowly, trickling in."