3.14

"Can I touch your ears?"

"Any particular requests for the suit? With the...in mind, of course." She gestured at Aisultan's ears and tail.

Aisultan turned to Eli, expectant.

"What?" Eli said, "It's your suit, not mine."

"Is there not a theme for the ball, Eli dear?"

Eli stared up at the ceiling in thought, not catching the bewildered glances the tailors gave each other.

"No, well–it's not so important, now is it? It's all one big formality anyhow~ Ah, just make it so it complements his eyes!"

"S-sounds good to me, Sir."

Eli nodded, reaching forward to pay–the woman shook her head with a smile."

"Oh no, we don't need it. Truly. Consider this a drop in the bucket for all that you've done for us."

"No, really, I insist on paying–"

"And I won't have it! Now shoo along, unless you want us falling behind schedule."

She and her husband hurried them out with a smile before Eli get in another word.

By the time the tailor and her husband waved goodbye out the door, the sun had sunken deeply past the horizon. A golden glow was cast across tightly packed brick and cobble. The two weaved through the shadowed side of the streets. Elijah hopped to and from shadows with precarious, yet playful steps as he spoke.

"The woman's far ancestor was a little girl I had met; I'd say a couple decades after the other child. We've been in contact ever since–her lineage has never forgotten, despite it being so long ago."

"I think that's wonderful."

"I think so too," Eli said, lifting his arms to pull up his cloak.

Aisultan stopped him with a smile, "There's no need."

The ice crystals flashed in and out of his sight for less than a moment. Eli leaned up to Aisultan, eyes twinkling, "How are my eyes?"

They were so close, their noses were practically touching. Aisultan's swaying tail froze, and for a moment, Eli seemed to have stolen time away from his surroundings.

"...Really beautiful," Aisultan said.

"A beautiful, dull brown, I hope," he laughed at his own joke, "come on now, I don't often get the opportunity to explore so freely in broad twilight!"

Eli dragged Aisultan back and forth, his bright laughter followed closely behind by a helpless smile.

"Look, Aisultan! These carts up ahead–the food is absolutely appetizing to the eyes. I'd recommend...Louis's cart and the tavern a few streets behind–Louis makes these beef skewers that beat out all competition, while that tavern has the loveliest servers–they always offer the best of the best on their menu for me. The rowdy atmosphere is also a welcome experience."

"Wait," Aisultan said slowly, "you go outside and interact with humans?"

"That's your only response?!"

Aisultan's tails ticked back and forth erratically. His shoulders shook, betraying his stifled laughter. He found it less than urgent to recompose himself, bumping against Eli's shoulder until he could speak a still sentence.

"I took you were always holed up in your workshop, forcing Elijah to do your outdoor bidding. At least, that's the impression that came off."

"Well yes, most nights. But he is limited by the darkness, which means no food carts or daytime peddlers to peruse–no human ones. And humans are what interest me the most, so of course I have to witness them for myself! It's been difficult with the red eyes, though," Eli sighed.

He stepped in front of Aisultean and turned to face him with a flourished spin, before walking backward.

"The worst part of my entire venture is..."

"Is what?"

Eli tilted his head up to the sky, "Is how unpalatable human food tastes! It's like candle wax–or even the rusted below my worktables. Don't laugh! When did I ever say you could?! None of this is funny–it's more tragic than anything."

Eli's heart grew wings, about to fly out of his chest as he finished speaking, face warm as he watched Aisultan shake with laughter for the nth time, tucking his hair back. His eyelashes shook, and silver fox ears furled and unfurled in unison with every vibrating chuckle. How the amber swam and shook within his eyes.

"Aisultan?"

"Yes," he responded, laughter tinging his words, "Eli, dear?"

Eli paused, facing Aisultan with a gleaming determination.

"Can I touch your ears?"

Aisultan made an affirming noise, stepping closer, "I don't mind. I'd been wondering when you'd ask–it's all over your face."

"Really? I suppose I'm terrible at hiding things, then."

Eli stretched out a hand and cupped Aisultan's ear. It was fuzzier than Eli imagined, with tufts or longer hair sticking out at the corners. He touched it with caution, afraid to hear a stern scolding or pained yelp.

Instead, he looked back to see Aisultan his eyes narrowed, his head tilted over in Eli's direction—into his palm.

"Are they sensitive?"

"Yes, but this is rather comfortable."

A gentle force sidled up to Eli's waist. A fluffy white tail rubbed happily against him, inciting a ticklish sensation as they flicked back and forth.

The air delicately thinned, slowing down to the point where Eli heard his own breaths, second to the heavy thuds of his heart.

Eli indulged, before hesitantly stepping away, the cool weather whisking away the fluffy tingle on his fingertips. His emotions were bright colors splashed vividly across a blank canvas. Aisultan fussed with his ears with a smile.

"You can touch them anytime. I won't get angry at you for such a thing."

"Really?!"

"Really."

Eli turned away quickly from the met gaze. He crouched onto the floor. All Aisultan was left with was the hunched, shaking back. He cringed as the hem of the cloak dragged through the graveled dirt.

"Eli, is there something wr–"

He jumped up faster than a wind-up toy. "You're so good to me Aisultan–aah! It just makes me so...so..!"

Aisultan's slight concern melted into a soft, liquid warmth.

"Happy?"

"So exalted! Usually, only Elijah indulges me like this–but not before making it painfully clear. Really, Aisultan, thank you."

Eli's step was invigorated with energy. His bright crimson gaze was like little stars reflected across the sun's setting golden hours.

"Good, I didn't know when I'd have another chance to touch them—Aisultan, how are they so soft?"

"I suppose it's just seasonal?"

Eli cut him off, exclaiming, Louis is over there today, ahh~!! Aisultan you must prove my points true about his food—it has to be the best food cart here!"

"It does smell great..."

"Right?! Right?! You don't know how I struggle with confectionary—it's like a mix of dirt and dull sugars down my throat. Indeed, this is my curse. Ah, the ones topped with powdered sugar and fruits are the worst."

Eli stepped past a bright ray, thoughts shooting in a different direction.

"We should hurry and order before he leaves! You must be getting hungry."

He grinned while grabbing Aisultan's arm; his fangs barely peeked out. They were less like destructive weapons and more similar to little canines.

The backdropped glow of orange somehow melted into even the darkest of shadows, crowning Eli in a light–As if beloved by the entire setting sky above and specially endowed with the glowing halo of fold around his crimson iris. Aisultan gladly let himself be pulled along, sucked in by the whirlpool of this adorable vampire's antics.