4.16

Leishan was a failure.

Great summer storms drifted in and out of Nanjie and Beijie—and with it, the fleeting meetings of Amari and Leishan. They seldom had time to meet in person. Only once in a brief dance at Jun and Minato's wedding in Beijie before being pulled away in opposite directions. And even less—an electric smile exchanged across the hall at the wedding in Nanjie.

They experienced the glorious celebration of two princes in union. In Beijie it was turquoise confetti, raucous laughter, fatty oiled banquet roasts, and joyful song melting the night away. In Nanjie, it was a solemn, yet perfect orchestration of ceremony—from the talent of performers roaming every corner of the kingdom, to endless feasts and parades. Amari and Leishan were so caught in the whirlwind of their own respective prince's itinerary that there was little rest to spare in a moment together.

It was no matter.

The way their minds connected in the mist of oncoming rain, or how lightning through Amari's fingertips brought Leishan near was enough to force Time to relent what she owed to the pair.

The rain against his skin and lighthearted conversations were what Amari looked forward to the most every day. His control grew steadier. Perhaps due to how Leishan assisted rather than hindered. Perhaps because Amari had grasped how to concentrate through a myriad of distractions. Perhaps because the two had grown closer, and as many Callers and Holders had mentioned before, brought them a closer connection to their power.

Although Jun and Minato asked again and again for Amari to return with them to Nanjie—to see Leishan—he always refused.

For Leishan and he had their own private agreement. One day, Amari would be ready. Ready with an answer in response to their fate.

Summers passed—and one sunny day, Amari reached through their connection. He dipped his hand through the gentle stream that connected Leishan and him.

"Leishan," his voice breezed by, weaving through Leishan's mind like a fine, misty spray.

Leishan's hand shook as he scraped too much flour into the mixture. A servant shooed him out with a scowl—and Leishan b0wed apologetically before departing. The line connecting to Amari was pulled taut, and a faint trickle of power was pulled with the consistency of long putty.

"Is it the start of summer storms today?" Leishan asked.

It was unexpected—Amari would normally notify Leishan in advance regarding rain calling.

Leishan drew to a nearby basin, rinsing his hands. Amari made a dissenting noise. It was soft and low, tickling his ears in a mirage-like way. Amari liked to make little notes of approval or refusal—the casualness reminded Leishan of how much closer they'd grown. The gnawing tension that Leishan desperately attempted to fill no longer plagued them.

"I was hoping you could come to my manor soon. I know it's been long. Five summers long. But I want to talk to you."

Leishan swallowed down his question of if Amari missed him as well, if Amari was even doing well, or maybe why it was now that a decision had been made. He didn't want to pretend to coolly answer, either—Amari would cut through the paper-thin façade in an instant. The brief bout of silence made Leishan stiff with a rare nervousness.

"I've been wanting to see you, as well. If that was your worry," Amari added. His voice smiled as clear as the sun through transparent clouds. "I miss your presence—that's one of many things I've realized in the years."

The words cleared the dark rumbling clouds in Leishan's mind, leaving only sunlight to warm his chest.

Leishan smiled, "I'm of the same thought."