3.10

"I wasn't strong enough."

"Then, what are we?"

Elijah cocked his head to one side. "Friends now, I suppose."

"You suppose..?"

"Yes. Do you have a problem with calling us friends?"

Aisultan, taken aback, only shook his head with a little smile. "None, Elijah dear."

Elijah turned his eyes away from the peaceful scenery. He stepped down the platform steps, pressing the flower against his flushed cheek. The icy sensation awoke him from the lethargic tiredness creeping in from the corner of his vision. He took a deep breath, before setting the flower down atop the little round table in the center.

"It was necessary for you to confront. If you are feeling sorry–don't be."

Aisultan looked at him, unconvinced.

"Really. I mean it. Now, I must go into town to visit the local church. As much as I'd rather not." He sighed.

"It's no more than a hassle. But..."

"But?"

Aisultan stepped down beside him, watching as Elijah left through the side garden entrance, only to check to confirm Aisultan was following.

"But it's a tedious task that has become slightly more enjoyable." A smile danced upon Elijah's lips.

"More enjoyable because of me~" His voice was coy. Elijah didn't respond, his ears reddening. He answered after a small pause.

"Indeed."

***

The first observation Elijah made as he treaded closer to the Saintess Church was the tantalizing scent of blood. Pebbles scattered, getting caught in the crevices of the rocky cobblestone paths, wet and shiny beneath the particularly bright light of the waning moon.

"There are noises of fighting up ahead—I hear the growls of werewolves as well," Aisultan said. White-furred ears swiveled with erect alertness.

Howling echoed soon after he spoke, striking an unsettling premonition.

"Let's hurry. The church is nearby, but if wolves are nearby and hostile, it might be on the way. Really, they're nothing but petulant creatures."

The pungent scent of blood grew stronger—metallic and attractive to Elijah's appetite. Elijah had already adjusted to the presence of a walking distraction though, so it left him focused.

Their figures stuck close together as they walked down the cobbled path. Another night market scattered the central road. Streams of people trickled through, enough so that humans lingered even as they went down smaller paths. Crowded buildings packed together, towering over them.

Aisultan's ear twitched. And Elijah, moments after, fixated his gaze above as a rock crumbled down—crimson flashed like a red koi glinting in murky waters.

Aisultan and Elijah jumped aside as bricks came unlodged. They tumbled down from the buildings. Two figures crashed—they tumbled and clawed at each other with feral movements.

Humans around shrieked, backing away and escaping in every possible way. The nearest human by Elijah and Aisultan was no more than a few footsteps away, falling to the floor with shaking legs.

The lanky vampire with a crumpled mop of brown hair slashed at the furred creature—it darted back. Sharpened canines were exposed with a growl. The vampire's chest heaved. Blood dripped down from their claw marks. They touched their chest, only to spy the human struggling to get up. Their eyes glowed ruby-red.