3.15

"Alyssa snapped."

Days passed in a busy manner as Elijah scrambled in both preparations and investigation. He only paused in his steps late evening to the jingle of the bell and subsequent tackle of a hug. Chestnut hair brushed against his neck.

Elijah caught the embrace with an unimpressed look, frowning.

"Really, one of these days I won't catch you and you'll go sprawling, Alyssa."

"Elijah~ I missed you~"

His sharp words missed their mark.

"Why are you here?"

"Because I wanted to see your adorable face! Why can't I be here?"

The subsequent glower caused Alyssa to step away with a wave.

"Fine, fine, I came...to complain."

Elijah sighed, his face cracking a small smile, "Alright, I've been working all evening anyway. What's wrong? Is it that wolf again?"

"Yes, yes! That wolf–Fen'ra. That damned mutt keeps causing more problems! She's been insufferably clingy with the recent tensions, spouting "justice" this and "loyalty" that."

Alyssa twiddled her hair with an even louder, obnoxious sigh, trailing behind Elijah as they entered the common room and sat down.

Recently, Aisultan had taken a liking to the carpeted spot before the hearth in his fox form. The tails created a vast sea of white fur. A hefty tortoise nestled comfortably atop. Eyes opened a slit–amber sent a wayward glance to Elijah, before closing again.  Alyssa's gaze lingered on the tails, before moving on. Judging by Alyssa's nonchalance, Elijah was sure she had long since seen through the disguise.

"It sounds like it's been busy on your end."

"Yes, even Sophie is buried in tasks to do–I rarely see her now and again."

"Has there been any further news on the ring?"

"I'm afraid I haven't heard of anything yet. Apologies."

Elijah leaned back. "No, it's fine. And besides, there are other things I've been hoping to discuss. Such as my trip to the church a few nights ago."

The playful glint in Alyssa's eyes faded. She folded her hands in her lap.

"Word spreads fast, Elijah, but the details are unclear. Some vampires claim you tried to kill a werewolf on holy territory."

"I did not," he said with a scoff.

Alyssa sighed, "I know. But it's spiraling out of control. This rumor is purposeful–the run-in with that fighting wolf and vampire within church territory, and the church somehow one step ahead of you–someone is looking to find you trouble, Elijah."

Elijah put a hand to his chin, his eyes narrowed in thought. "Why would they...? All of this just to draw our attention off the ring?"

"That's my guess as well. For now, I advise you to be cautious on your outings from here on."

"I will, thank you."

"No, you must be cautious, Elijah. This all is a dangerous game you're playing. You... and Eli both. And if you don't take more caution you both will–"

"I shall," he sharply cut in, "be more careful. It won't happen again. My negligence was my failure."

"Really," Alyssa said, rolling her shoulders, "between you two and the ball and this whole ring matter...and that damned dog, I feel as if my poor heart is going to collapse."