Joining

Soyeon often went to the dance practice room in her free time. That's where she was when Chan found her.

After she finished for the day, Soyeon grabbed her backpack and checked the time. If she started to practice right then, she could go for an hour before she had to get back home so her sister wouldn't worry. Plus, she had school the next morning.

She grabbed her phone and jogged to the room. She dropped her bag and plugged her phone. A slightly melancholic tune began to play, and she sang the lyrics she wrote herself as she danced.

As she danced and sang, she thought about the school day she had.

When the song finished, she went to start another one, but was interrupted by someone clearing their throat.

She turned to see a boy standing in the doorway, a smile on his face.

"Hello," she said, hurriedly bowing.

The boy laughed. "Hi. You're really good."

"Oh, t-thank you," Soyeon said, blushing. "I don't normally allow people to see or hear me."

"Well, you're going to have to when you debut."

"True." Soyeon brushed her hair out of her face. "Can I help you with something?"

"Oh, right! Well, every day I hear singing and I was wondering who it was."

"Ah. It's just me. I come here at the end of every day, and when I have free time."

"You're good," the boy repeated.

There was a silence as Soyeon turned to unplug her phone.

"Would you like to debut?" the boy asked suddenly.

Soyeon whirled around in surprise. "Of course. That's why I'm here. Why?"

"My name is Bang Chan. I'm the leader of the boy group Stray Kids. We're hoping to debut soon, and you're insanely talented. I think you would fit in."

"O-oh, thank you. But it's a boy group," Soyeon said, blushing. "They might not accept me."

"JYP PD-nim told me to pick the people who would be best for my group," Chan said confidently, "And I'm sure you're perfect."

"Thank you, but I'll have to decline," Soyeon said as she grabbed her backpack.

She left before he could protest.

Over the next few days, he would appear and ask again.

Finally, he said the thing that convinced Soyeon.

"At least try it. If you don't like it you can drop out. If you do, you might debut and we'll be your new family."

It was the exact thing her older sister Mi-Ra had said when Soyeon told her.

"You'll be our ninth member," he added.

Soyeon turned to Chan. "Fine. I'll work with you guys."

His face brightened. "Really?"

She nodded.

He grinned and grabbed her hand.

Surprised, she yelped. He led her to a different room, and she barely had time to grab her backpack.

In the room were seven other guys, all doing various things.

When the door opened, they all looked up.

"Guys, this is our newest and final member," Chan said proudly as he released Soyeon.

She waved shyly.

"Introduce yourself," Chan said, nudging her.

"I'm Choi Soyeon," she said, bowing.

"A girl?" the one in all black demanded. "We're a boy group, Chan. We're here to debut, not take care of her every need."

Soyeon's eyes hardened. "Excuse me?"

"I agree with Changbin," another boy said. "We're not some co-ed group here to babysit some girl. We're a boy group. She'll ruin our image."

"That's enough," Chan said. "Soyeon is talented. JYP PD-nim told me to pick the best for our team, and Soyeon is the best."

"I doubt it," the one in black scoffed.

Before Chan could scold him again, Soyeon snapped.

"What is your problem?" She said, "You don't even know me. I bet I'm just as talented as you are. You don't have to like me but can you shut the fuck up? I didn't agree to join just for you to insult me and mock me."

There was a shocked silence as Soyeon glared at the boys.

"Prove it," the one who agreed with the one in black said. "Rap."

"Jisung-" Chan started, but Soyeon glared at him and he shut his mouth.

"I can't rap," she said.

"Exactly!"

"That doesn't mean I'm incompetent!" she said.

"Let's give her the benefit of doubt," one said calmly. "For all we know she might be insanely talented."

Soyeon looked at him gratefully. "Thank you."

He nodded. "I'm Seungmin, by the way."

"Well, I would introduce myself but I did it a few minutes ago," she said, half-smiling.

Seungmin smiled.

"What can you do?" the one in black said.

"I can sing, and I can dance," Soyeon explained.

"Prove it."

She sighed and pulled out her phone again, putting on the song she had been singing to when Chan first found her.

She began to sing and everyone went silent.

When she finished, she looked at the boys. "I'm not dancing for you though. That shit's embarrassing."

"I think we have our ninth member," one of the boys finally said.