chapter three

" So what do you guys want to do?" Ben asks Luke and Kaylee. We were sitting on the couch in the living room with Luke on my lap and Kaylee on Ben's lap. Kaylee looks at me.

" No baby Emma?" Kaylee asks.

" We can't see her today because Uncle Ben is here. We'll see her tomorrow." I say. Luke looks up at me.

" Mommy, when will you have another baby?" Luke asks.

" I don't think I will have another one. You two are the only babies I need." I say pulling Luke into my chest and tickling him. Luke starts giggling.

" Uncle Ben, when you get baby?" Kaylee asks Ben. I stop tickling Luke and look at Ben.

" Well, I don't think I ever will. But I count you guys as my babies." Ben says.

" Like our daddy!" Kaylee says. I felt myself tense up as she said that. I felt Luke tense up on my lap as she said that. And I saw Ben tense up as she said that.

" No, I'm nothing like your daddy." Ben says.

" We don't have no daddy. You don't know him. I don't know him." Kaylee says. I can feel Luke's breathing starting to get quicker. I rub his arm to help him calm down.

" Lukey, you okay?" I ask. Luke nods his head.

" You sure?" I ask. Luke nods his head. I kiss the top of his head.

" Mummy, why we have no daddy?" Kaylee asks looking at me.

" Because daddy had to move far away." I lie.

" Why not go with?" Kaylee asks.

" Because we weren't allowed to." I say. Ben places Kaylee on the ground.

" Alright, let's get a movie going! Come on Kaylee, let's pick out a movie to watch!" Ben quickly says. Kaylee squeals as she runs to the DVD cabinet. Ben follows her. I look at Luke in my lap.

Every time Kaylee or someone else brings up my ex-husband, everyone who knew what happened to him gets freaked out. Luke and I are the ones who get worried the most.

" Are you doing okay munchkin?" I ask.

" Mommy, why did daddy leave? Was it because of me?" Luke asks.

" No, it was not your fault. He had to leave for adult reasons." I say. I kiss the top of his head.

" But don't think about him okay? He shouldn't be the reason why you're sad. He left us and now its just the three of us." I say. Luke nods his head. Kaylee runs to me.

" Mummy! We watch princesses!" Kaylee squeals. Luke frowns.

" No, Lady and the Tramp!" Luke argues. Kaylee looks at Luke.

" No! Princesses!" Kaylee protests. Ben picks her up and sits down placing her on his lap.

" Let's not argue. If it's not past your bedtime we can watch Lady and the Tramp." I say. Luke nods his head.

" I think we should make popcorn and cuddle. You guys like that idea?" Ben says. Luke and Kaylee nod their heads really fast. Ben lets out a little laugh.

" Okay, you two stay down here and me and mommy will make the popcorn and grab the blankets. Deal?" Ben says.

" Deal!" Luke and Kaylee exclaim. We place Luke and Kaylee next to each other. We stand up from the couch and walk upstairs. Ben grabs the popcorn bag and I grab a big enough bowl. Ben places the popcorn in the microwave. He turns to me.

" Thanks for coming over and watching my kids with me." I say.

" No problem. Its's been one of the greatest dates I've ever been on so far." Ben says.