Chapter 1

It was dad's idea that we came to this restaurant.
All of us; him, mum, Jonathan, Priscilla and me.

There's no special occasion, dad just wanted the entire family together like old times since he was in town.

"Isn't this place too expensive?" Mum says, looking at the menu and most likely the price of each item on the list.

"Don't worry about the bill. It's on me" dad says

"Of course it's on you, you're the dad here" Priscy says and I immediately shoot her a glare, the kind mothers gave their children to shut them up.

Jonathan clears his throat in an attempt to clear the air, change the topic perhaps, but mum doesn't let him.

"You could have chosen a cheaper place. Or better still we could just eat at home" mum says.

Did she say home?

"Which home? Is it dad's house two towns away? Or your new husband's house?" I ask her. She doesn't seem to have an answer to my question so she keeps mute and goes back to looking at the menu.

It can never be like old times. Never.

"Priscy, how's school?" Dad starts his usual questioning. It's his way of getting involved in our lives. He would start his questions from the youngest child and go on till he got to the oldest.
Priscy was always first, his very own baby.

"It's okay, I got elected president in my class" she sounds proud and I'm genuinely happy for her, at least something is going well for one of us.

"That's so cool!" Jonathan beats dad to it smiling from ear to ear "I bet George is Vice" he adds with a knowing smile.

George and Priscilla have had an obvious crush on each other since her junior school and it was a plus that they were going to attend the same university. Their relationship seemed to be progressing, and mine seemed to have come to an end.

"The same George?" Dad asks smiling and I see Priscilla blush. "I'm happy school is going great for you, my baby" he adds.

"And how is living with Daniella like?" Dad asks priscy.
Priscy and I have been living together for years now and he still sees the need to ask her this question

Priscilla looks at me, and then at dad "Pretty normal" she says too casually
"Now can you shift the interrogation to another child?" she adds and I'm grateful she makes things on a light note.
It still makes me nervous that I have to pass the mom test at every family gathering.

I couldn't stand being the center of this discussion especially when I haven't exactly being doing the mummy duties they all expect from big sister Daniella.

Dad laughs "Daniella" he says in a singsong voice still smiling

"Oh, no, it's my turn" I joke

"I just want to catch up on my kids lives" Dad gives us his usual line.

"Unlike some other parents" Priscilla says. She really needs to learn to control her mouth.

We all look at mum. She hasn't said anything in a while. She flashes us a smile and dad picks up where he left.

"How's your training going?" He asks ignoring the awkwardness after what Priscy said.

"Not so well, to be honest" I say "but it's nothing I can't handle" I add so they wouldn't worry.
The last thing I want to talk about at our once in two blue moons family gathering is my insensitive boss at work.

"That's my girl" dad says.

Dad has always been my favorite, even before mum left us to start another family.

"I'm guessing it's my turn now" Jonathan says and we all smile.
For once everything feels almost normal. Almost.

. . .

For the rest of the evening we continue to have random talks with dad and we all joke like we're a normal family.

Mum doesn't say much asides occasionally smiling at certain statements. Priscy doesn't cause any more harm with her sharp mouth. Jonathan keeps being the most unproblematic. Dad continues to spring up conversations and get everyone involved.

And I'm happy for the first time in a while.

I still wonder why mum would leave a man like him.