Chapter 25

Jo told me to choose a place where I would feel comfortable and safe, and where I could relax and be myself.

That's the reason why unlike every other person that visits a therapist, I'm not going to his office.

We're meeting at a small cafe not too far from my house, for the first time at least.

I walk into the cafe, and my eyes immediately fall on him. Asides the description of him Jo gave me, he's hard not to notice.

He's sitting comfortably on the sofa, his tall frame filling the space, his dark brown eyes are focused on the book in his hand, and his brow is slightly furrowed in concentration. His skin is smooth and dark, and his hair is a responsible low cut.
He's so focused on his book that he doesn't notice me enter the room.
I clear my throat, and he looks up, his eyes locking with mine

He sends me a small smile. "You're Daniella?" He says it like it's a question but the tone of his voice makes me know it's more of a statement than a question. "it's good to meet you" he adds with a more genuine smile

I smile back taking my seat opposite him"Oh, please, nobody calls me Daniella. It's Dani"

"Okay, Dani" he sits upright, his relaxed demeanour diminishing. I don't think I'm ready for this. "Do you live very far from here?"

"Sorry?" I have to ask because I was expecting a 'tell me about yourself' question or whatever it is therapists ask their patients.

"Where do you stay? Is it a long journey from here?" He repeats "I'm just wondering because you got here pretty fast" he adds with a smile. He seems to be a natural when it comes to smiling, the dimple on his left cheek deepening with each smile.

"Fast? Coming from someone who got here before me?" I question curiosly

"Don't mind me. I came here earlier than planned, i needed to sort something here before meeting you" I look at his now closed book "you are very punctual" he sits back in his chair, his body language relaxed and the never failing smile on his face.

I try to relax into my seat just like him, but I'm too nervous to. "I wouldn't have liked it if i was waiting for you so i didn't want to make you wait"

He nods his head agreeing with me "that's very good"

"The only thing Jo told me about you was that you're a therapist. I don't even know your name" I say

"You can call me CJ"

"CJ?"

"Real name is Christian, but everyone calls me cj"

I nod "oh"

"So, how are you?" He asks and from the way he asks it I know he's not just asking for formalities.

Am I in a therapy session right now? Oh my God. How is a question as simple as this pressuring me this much?

I try to calm down and organise my thoughts.

"I know this can be a difficult process, but I want you to know that you're in a safe space here. You can speak freely and honestly, and I will do my best to offer support and guidance. We're here to work through whatever challenges you're facing, and there's no need to feel pressured or judged"

"This just feels wierd for me. I can't believe I'm talking to a therapist" I tell him honestly.

"You have something against us?" he raises an eyebrow

"No, not that" I try to explain

He laughs "relax, I'm joking. I'm just saying, I'm your friend that's all you need to see me as. Is that okay?"

"Okay"

"Now tell me, how are you?"

For some reason, this time I'm less nervous and it feels more like a normal conversation with a friend. CJ makes me comfortable. The way he talks, the way his dark brown eyes look at me, the way he smiles, his whole being just makes me more at ease.

"The past few days have been a blur" I drag my last word "and I mean it literally. I've cried so much my vision has been blurry" I add with a chuckle

"It sounds like you're going through alot. Do you want to tell me about it?"

"I had a fight with my best friend. It was pretty messed up"

"Do you feel like you're the cause of that fight?"

"I'm not really sure. I'm not all innocent, of course but I wouldn't say it's anybody fault. It just happened"

"What caused the fight then? Since we've established that it's not a who"

"She thinks I'm still seeing my ex boyfriend, who happens to be in another relationship now. She got angry because I went to see him and hid it from her and we both said some bad things to each other"

"That sounds serious"

"It is serious"