Chapter 2

It's Monday morning, my absolute favorite day of the week.

I murmur a few curse words as I get up from bed. I know it's a bad way to start my day but it has become routine and in a way I think it helps me get through the day.

"Fuck!" I shout looking down at what I accidentally hit. "Priscy, why is your reading table this close to my bed?!" I yell knowing she can't hear me from her room downstairs.

Using my good leg, I push the table farther giving myself more space to get off my bed properly.

I check the time, its 5:48, I'm not late, not yet. I'm meant to report at the clinic by 8 and its just fourty minutes away from where I stay.

Its 7 on dot by the time I settle to have my breakfast

"I'm spending the night at George's today" Priscy takes a spoon from my food.

"I don't care where you spend the night" I say, collecting my spoon from her and shooting her what I consider my deadly glare. "As long as you don't get pregnant" I add with a mouthful of food.

"It's school work, I promise" she says it too fast for me to belive her.

"I'm not mum. I've done these things too, I know all the tricks" I tell her

"Seriously" she drawls "we haven't even kissed yet" she sounds sad about that "we're just friends and it's really a school project we're working on" she adds

"Okay"

"Speaking of boys, can I have one over?" she asks

"George is always welcomed here" I say

"Er..." she stutters "its not George" she adds

"Playerrr!" I joke

"George won't make a move, even after all these years. At least with habeeb I know I'm in a talking stage"

"Just be careful. Always talk to me, and remember..."

"I'm not your mother, I'm your sister" she finishes for me, attempting to sound like me.

We both laugh.

. . .

"Good morning Daniella" Paul greets as we both enter the clinic.

I don't get the obsession with people and calling my name.

"You look happy" I say

Paul is always happy, I'm jealous. He's in training just like me but he's not in my department and his supervisor is way less mean than Laura.

Men are naturally less problematic. Take the male members of my family for example.
He seems happy to be in this field while I always rethink my life decisions.

"My supervisor's birthday is today. There's a surprise party for him later at meds. It'll be nice to see you there" he says the last part when it feels like he's done talking

"Why would I be there? The meds are for the real medical students" I say

"You're a pharmacist, no much difference"

"Alot of people would disagree"

"Anyways, you're invited" he smiles. "Besides, everyone in my department loves you. I'm sure my supervisor would be happy if he sees you" I know Paul just wants me to come, he'll say anything to make me come.

"I'll try" I tell him and we go our separate ways.

The walk to the pharmacy is one I dread every day I come to work. I know Laura would have devised a new way to torment me today and I mentally prepare myself for her.

"Daniella" a very familiar voice calls just as I settle on my seat behind the counter.
"Laura" I greet back. That was how we said hello to each other, calling each others names.

"The pharmacy is in your care today. I'll be busy attending a function at meds" she tells me looking at a register.

'A function at meds'
"Does it happen to be Mr. Henry's surprise birthday party?" I ask

"How do you know about it? It's for meds trainees only and of course, other very important staff members" she says, cocky as she was last Friday when I saw her last.

I don't want to mention Paul, so I just shrug "I just know"

"Anyways, I'm going and someone has to watch this place" she says

"I..." I pause trying to compose the right words "I actually plan on attending too. Mary can manage things till we're back"

"I want you to stay here" she says with finality dropping the hard cover book I assume is the register. "Mary is a junior trainee, leaving her unsupervised is against protocol" I'm surprised she's trying to give me an explanation. Its unlike her.

"Okay" I say and get back to work.

After she leaves, I text Paul
-the witch won't let me leave the pharmacy.