Chapter 4

Mum is visiting today.

Apparently, the only person she still cares about is Priscy and she still sees the need to drop by once in a while.

She had called me just as I got off work to tell me she was on her way to my place.
I didn't need to ask why, I knew it was for her baby. Priscilla was everybody's baby, everybody's favorite. Even mum.

I had to call Priscy as soon as I got off the call with mum.

"Are you home?" I say immediately the call gets connected. I don't have time for small talk.

"Yeah, why? Is everything okay?" she asks.

I relax the moment she says she's home. I don't want to seem like an irresponsible guardian. And low-key I know the liberties I give Priscy are not things responsible guardians should do.

"Mummy is coming. She might reach there before me" it sounds awkward. 'Mummy'

"Arghh" I hear her groan "do I have to clean?" she whispers it but I hear

"What did you do in my house, Priscy?"

"Just had a few friends over. It wasn't even a party exactly. Was more like a group study sech that turned into a friends hangout. We needed to relax"

Oh.my.God.

"If you embarrass me priscy, I know ways to get you and you know" I threaten

"I know. I won't embarrass you. Why would I? You're the best mum in the world"

I cringe at that "I am not..."

"your mother, I'm your sister" she finishes for me "I know, I've heard it a thousand times"

. . .

I park my car next to mum's. She got here before me just as i had imagined. Before I get down I curse three times, it's my motivation as wierd as it sounds. 'Just say hi and go to your room, she's not here for you' I tell myself as I walk into my living room.

"Welcomee!" Priscy sounds excited to see me. Most likely because now she doesn't have to deal with mum alone, I get that feeling.

"Thank you" I try to ask her 'what's up' with my eyes but she doesn't get it. "Good evening ma" I greet not stopping to make small talk.

"Will you join us? I'm making dinner" mum says

"In my house?" I ask without filtering. I was legit surprised at her saying she was cooking so casually like it was a norm.

"Yes, priscy would help me if I need anything. Right priscy?" Priscilla doesn't answer

"I'm not hungry" I say and prepare to continue my journey up the stairs and into my room.

"Please, let's talk over dinner" she sounds desperate

I look at her, and then at Priscilla and then I keep going.

At least I'll need to shower and get out of this clothes before any kind of 'talk'

I'm wearing ash joggers and a big black top that was once Jo's and my hair is secure in my black bonnet as I come back to 'talk' with my mother. I join them in the kitchen wondering what she's cooking.

Mum was never a great cook. Most times it was dad that would do the cooking or would get us takeouts on his way from work. I don't think there's anything mum is great at, except abandoning her family.

When they see me they exchange a look and Priscy leaves. They must have talked about whatever this is before I came.

So she's here to see me after all.

"I needed to talk to you" she starts a few seconds after Priscy leaves.

I don't say anything but my looks give her the go ahead.

"I spoke to John" she starts.

John is her new husband, they actually got married, certificates and all the right process.

"and he's agreed with me that you and priscy come live with us"

I laugh.
and maybe, just maybe, I see a trace of the crazy that Sam saw.