Chapter 3

I haven't seen Samson since he walked out of my house exactly one week ago.

I've tried not to think too much about the things he said to me but I don't do a good job at it.
I regret so many of the decisions I made in the past. Maybe if I had been more rational I would still have a boyfriend.

I wake up grumpy this morning.
Maybe it's because i dreamt, more like had a memory, of Sam.

My alarm rings and I snooze it. I've snoozed it two times before and I can imagine the time is almost seven now.
I feel too sick to care about being late for work.

I curse a few times at nothing and no one in particular before taking my phone.
The plan is to text Laura that I'll be a bit late today but I decide its better she hears it directly from my mouth and not through a text.

"Hello" she answers immediately

"good morning ma" I greet.
I rarely call her ma, or even greet her properly and I can imagine her rolling her eyes where she is.

"Why are you calling?" she asks in her usual mean and uncaring tone

"I'm sick ma, I might come in late today" I say as humbly as I can.

"You work in a hospital. Come early! And you can get treated here" she hangs up.

I curse again.
"Fuck you Laura" I say it loud instead of my usual murmur.

. . .

Paul came to the pharmacy. He says there's no work to do and he figured I'll be bored alone here. How thoughtful of him.

Laura and all the other supervisor's went out for a meeting and won't be back till closing so we use the opportunity.

"How are you now?" I had told him I wasn't feeling okay this morning when we so coincidentally met at the entrance of the hospital.

"My head hurts less but it still hurts and it feels like my whole body was pounded with a mortal in my sleep" I describe how I feel in the best way I can

"Have you seen the doctor?" he asks concerned.

"I think it's more emotional than physical" I confess not feeling any better than when I woke up after my terrible dream.

"What's up?" He asks and I see the serious Paul. He looks more mature and I have to admit, handsome.

"Sam broke up with me"

He looks surprised "when?" he tries to keep his cool and not overwhelm me with too many emotions.

"It's over a week now" I tell him "I was doing fine. Honestly, I was too busy to even dwell on it. But last night I just couldn't sleep and I couldn't help the memories of him. And the things that he said about me, to me. I just feel terrible all over again" it feels good talking to someone about it and for a minute I wonder why I and my friends never really spoke about it.

"Did he say why?" he asks

"He said he was tired of me" I say "not directly but that was what the whole thing meant" I add "but I don't want to talk about him. If anything I want to forget"

"I totally get you" he says and I see him return to his playful self "I think our supervisor's are seeing each other" he says after a meaningful pause.

Paul always has the gossip of the clinic, he always knows someone that knows someone and somehow he knows everything.

"As in Laura and Henry?" I ask to confirm. No way in hell those word and opposite would be together.

"After the whole mini party at meds yesterday, they went out for dinner. Just the two of them" the way he says it makes the gist even more juicy

"It could be just two friends having dinner together" I try to see things from a general perspective

"Me and you is two friends having dinner. Laura and Mr Henry are not friends, trust me"

Work is bearable today because of Paul's company. Not alot of people come in today and it's a relief because I don't think I'm in the mood to do pharmacist duties today.