Chapter 18

It's final day of training

It actually isn't as bad as I made it seem.
I may have an unbearable boss but she's not all bad. It's a really nice environment and I absolutely enjoy the work. I also learnt alot of things, both within and outside my field. I made friends, acquaintances, meaningful connections.
It's been an entire year and it's definitely going to be unforgettable.

"Dani the doctor" Mr Henry's voice brings me back as I look at him wearing one of my best smiles.

Mr Henry always joked with me about how pharmacists were also in a way, doctors. He even said my name rolls with the title just fine. Mr Henry was just like Paul, it was almost as if they were father and son.

"So you're just going to leave us without saying goodbye" he adds and that is when I notice Paul is standing right next to him.

"It's not like that sir" I say even though it is exactly like that.

"I came personally to see you because I have something to tell you" he says on a serious note taking his seat at the customer's side directly opposite me with the counter dividing us.

"What is that sir?" I ask wondering "hope there's no problem" I add when I notice the look on Paul's face

"I won't beat around the bush, because I can imagine you have alot to do today especially and I also have to leave the clinic very soon" he stops and turns to face Paul smiling. Okay that's a good sign. "Now that Paul is a certified doctor, he's working on setting up his own hospital in the second city" he reports like a proud father

"Oh, that is such good news" I smile genuinely happy for Paul.

"Exactly. Wait till you hear the end of it" he pauses for a while "I think i should leave Paul to do the honours" he adds signifying to Paul to continue.

Paul clears his throat with a cough "Mr Henry suggested you move with me and head the pharmacy section"

My eyes open and then my mouth making a 'o' sound. And then it clicks 'Mr Henry suggested'
"Would you like for me to?" I ask Paul

"Of course, you're one of the best here" Mr Henry answers for him "and it's a great opportunity for you both, makes it easier that you both are friends already" he adds seeming even more excited than me or Paul

I smile at Mr Henry and then look back at Paul waiting for him to say something.

Mr Henry's phone rings and he murmurs an 'excuse me' before leaving. From my experience with this man, he will not be coming back.

Paul and I stand awkwardly looking at each other. O, how things have changed.

"Congratulations" he tells me "for completing training" he adds with a slight smile

"Double congratulations" I return his smile "I can't belive you're building a hospital" I add

"Truth is, I'm not sure I would be working there myself. Its just a project I'm working on"

"You're a doctor, why wouldn't you want to practice?"

"I do want to practice, just not here"

"Isn't that why you're setting up in the second city?"

"Yeah, makes it better actually"

"Either ways, congrats" I say

"Thank you"

"And don't worry about Mr Henry, if you don't want me going with you I can tell him I have another offer that's why I rejected yours" I say.

Mr Henry is also my friend and he's looking out for me trying to secure me a job and I know he wouldn't let Paul off it just because Paul doesn't want to be around me. It's easier if I lie about having a better offer, that way he wouldn't bother Paul.

"It's not that I don't want you going, i just..." he pinches the bridge of his nose "I was too scared to come to you, after everything I did"

"Dani" Laura joins us with a frown that quickly transforms to a smile when she sees Paul "I didn't think you'll be here. Haven't seen you here in a while"

"Good evening ma" Paul greets her

"Congratulations, Henry told me about your hospital at second city" she smiles at him. I wonder why I'm the only one who doesn't get to enjoy the all smiling and harmless Laura, makes me sound crazy when I tell other people at the clinic

"Thank you ma"

Her attention is back to me and the frown is back

"Because today's your last day here you think you can act anyhow? I'll write a bad report about you and submit to your school and I promise you, you'll redo this training..."

And that is how Laura interrupts Paul and I.