Chapter 46

ALESSIO

I don't care how long it takes
As long as I'm with you
I've got a smile on my face
Save your tears, it'll be okay
All I know is you're here with me

I blinked my eyes open and tilted my head a bit to the left to see Cassio sitting next to me on the...hospital bed? What the fuck? I wasn't a child to bring me to a hospital, dammit.

I tried to make sense of my surrounding when my gaze landed back on Cassio. He had his head down, twirling a ring around his RING FINGER? WHAT? Was I dead for a hundred years? WHY THE FUCK WAS I IN A HOSPITAL?

His shoulders were hunched when he spoke, a sniffle filling the room when I was shocked to see him crying. His voice came out low but painful when I wanted to do nothing but just sit up and console him. What happened? Why was he crying? Where was Avelina? Did something happen that I wasn't recalling? Did they kill Avelina? Was he mourning her?

"I know you are awake-"

"Where is Avelina?" My voice came out so gruff and low, I had to actually clear my throat for once.

He gave me a look when he sighed, "Let me talk."

"No." There was some sort of urgency in my voice when my heart rate spiked up. The monitors started beeping when I tried to sit up in bed, "You are crying, what happened? Did something happen that I don't remember because I don't. Did they kill Avelina? Is she gone? Did something happen to Jamie? Why do you have a ring on? Did someone force you? Was there-"

He ran his hand along my arm and tried to calm me down, "Hey hey hey, nothing happened, the Estate is safe. No one said anything to Avelina, nor was she touched. She is currently sleeping as it's three in the early morning. She is completely safe, sound and secure. I promise you. And no, nothing happened to Jamie or me. Relax."

My heart rate slowed down and the monitors stopped beeping like mad when I rested against the headboard. Why the fuck was I in a hospital when it was clear by my mafia companions that cowards go there.

"I got your message after 10 hours, and...."

"What message?"

"The 'I quit' one."

"Oh yeah, I was talking about the mafia. I was thinking about abolishing it all, but I have changed my mind. I just need to find my way and get back on track again."

He didn't say anything for a long moment, his eyes never meeting mine, when I tried to read his expression. I could only make out the side of his face as he was staring at the wall ninety degrees to my left. The room was dark, probably to let me sleep, when after a few minutes, the silence became heavy. It felt like a burden on my chest when I tried to bring him back here, "Buddy?"

He shook his head and sighed, his voice getting even lower and heavier if possible, "It meant something else to me."

I was confused for a second when I ran my sent message through my head when it all clicked.

Oh.

Suicide.

I couldn't help when a chuckle escaped through my lips.

He looked quizically at me when I shrugged my shoulders and apologized, my voice coming out all funny and light, "I apologize in advance for what I am about to do next.", and my bad, I started laughing. I had this habit since childhood to laugh at serious moments and to be really honest? It was a curse. And a very bad one, to be really honest.

Cassio's expressions reflected hurt when after slowing down a bit from my laughing fit, something shifted within me as I suddenly got tired. I sighed and lightly bumped my close fist against his shoulder, whispering to him, "You should have never thought that as you know me. You know me very well, enough to even know that if I did have to finally come down to this road? I would have done it after Julianna and Ayla were killed. Not now. What's the use now after enduring all the pain. If I would have done it? It would have been a very long time ago. I guess it just got too much for me this time.

You kill yourself not because you want to end life, but because you want to end the pain."

He started crying when he sniffled, "Alessio..."

"Hey hey, I'm not worthy enough for that. Save that-" and then my eyes widened suddenly, my eyes snapping to his ring, "Why are you wearing an engagement ring?"

He shook his head and chuckled, "I got engaged last night."

"So, you WERE serious about Giovanni."

He nodded, "Yes. He accepted James."

"Ahh. How's the little one?"

"Good good. Just got him enrolled in kindergarten."

I chuckled, "Cute. Did he cry or create a fuss?"

His eyebrows reached his hairline as he SIGHED, "You bet my ass he did."

I laughed when he chuckled and shook his head, his voice getting lower again, "But he listened to his dada, and went to school."

There was a heavy silence then when I knew it was something else tainting the air between us. I waited for he himself to say it but when I couldn't take the silence any longer, I asked, "What is it?"

He looked at me, "I found it hard to send Jamie to school. I couldn't bring myself to see my own son going away from me, even if it was for a few hours. His cries cut through me like glass and something protective came over me. I wanted to hug him to myself for ever, console him, kiss him, keep my baby close to me for ever. I wanted to do everything my son ever wanted to do and I wanted to stay by his side forever. Seeing him cry as he was being taken into class messed up with my head so bad, Alessio.

No one talks about this and no one warned me but seeing him heart broken and away from me, seeing the scenario through his eyes, registering what his small brain would have thought, killed me that day. It fucking killed me."

I rested my hand on his and squeezed it, "I'm sorry, buddy. I'm sorry for not being there when I should have been. I know it can get hard but trust me, the first steps are always the hardest. After that, either you get used to it, or it does actually get easier. Give James a few days and then he himself will run to you, blabbering about how his day went. And you know what?"

He looked at me, "What?"

"Bring him here. I want Jamie to live with us."

His eyes widened when he shrieked, "You fucking serious?"

I chuckled, "Yeah. Been long since I saw that little guy."

I stretched on the hospital bed when I gave him a smirk, "And you can let your daddy sleep in bed with you as well. Never knew you had the muscled bodyguard kink."

His eyes widened when I continued, teasing him as much as I could, "But then again, understandable. Abs like that promise a hot time in bed, and one look at your current face and the fact that you are marrying him now is enough to tell me he has a good enough penis to satisfy you in bed."

"Alessio!"

"Isn't this the wrong name you are shouting?" I winked at him, "Daddy might be outside, ready to spank you, princess. Be careful."

---------------------

In the next chapter? You get to meet a cute little baby boy, who is just like his baba Cassio. And trust me... you're going to adore that little doodles.

Peace.

A.ZChaudhry

My insta: a.zchaudhry

Insta: authora.zchaudhry