chapter 14: An unexpected meeting

Jaanvi:

Goa was everything I expected and more. I had spent the entire day touring the state, visiting beaches, waterfalls, market squares, and so much more. The Uber driver who drove me around was a local who generously offered to show me the beautiful places of North Goa. He mentioned that Goa is a scenic beauty that enchants our senses, and he happily shared more about the place while we drove.

First, we visited Calangute Beach, which is just a 10-minute drive from Mapusa. It was a stunning beach situated right along the coast of Goan cities, crowded by both locals and tourists spending their holidays under the warm morning sun. There were cute summer huts hosting shops on the beach. The beach's huts, adorned with bright awnings and charming décor, hosted an array of vendors offering tropical fruits, ice-cold beverages, and the tantalizing aromas of Goan cuisine. I spent the morning gawking at all the activities going around and seemingly enjoyed a beach day out.

Then, I was guided through the Tibetan market in Baga, one of the most popular flea markets in Goa. People from different ethnic backgrounds set up their tents in the busy market, selling a variety of goods from trinkets to treasures. You could buy practically anything and everything here at unbelievably low prices. The stalls were filled with an eclectic array of treasures from various cultures. Intricately woven rugs in rich hues invited visitors to explore the diverse range of goods displayed.

Nearby, an elderly woman with a tribal appearance sat in a shop displaying beautiful handcrafted jewelry that gleamed under the sunlight - from terracotta necklaces to silver and gold charms and gemstones. She offered me a wrinkled smile as I passed by and motioned for me to take a look at her goods. I politely smiled back and indicated that I'd check them out another time.

In another shop, there were exquisite saris, kaftans, and embroidered shawls hanging like works of art, showcasing the intricate craftsmanship and cultural stories woven into each thread. The sellers were enthusiastic about sharing the stories behind their wares, welcoming anyone and everyone who stopped to listen.

The air here was alive with the aroma of spices, the chatter of vendors, and the melodic strains of traditional music playing in the background.

After visiting the market, we proceeded to the famous Baga Creek of Baga, where I went kayaking for the first time. The narrow tidal creek with its clear waters offered a beautiful view of Baga Beach and the surrounding landscapes.

After an hour of basking in the Baga sun, we drove along the shoreline of Candolim Beach - another beach situated to the south of Calangute, but noticeably less crowded. I could spot towering cliffs and rocks surrounding the beach along the coastline. They seemed to stand guard over the waters, their rough surfaces contrasting with the softness of the sand below.

The driver was kind enough to accompany me all the way to Old Goa, where numerous temples, churches, and historical monuments crowded the little city steeped in rich heritage that has lent its name to the city. We visited Divar Island, the Basilica of Bom Jesus - a colonial historical monument built around the late 1500s by the Portuguese of ancient times, Reis Magos Fort, one of Goa's oldest citadels - and many other landmarks of Old Goa.

The day quickly passed, and evening was approaching rapidly. I wrapped up the rest of my visits around the city and even took a stroll through Colina De Cristo park in Margao before heading back.

The nightlife in Goa felt like stepping into a completely different world. The air was charged with excitement and anticipation, creating a sense that something extraordinary was about to happen. Neon lights illuminated the streets, and the sound of music began to fill the warm night air. Walking along the bustling streets, I could sense the energy building around me. Beach clubs and bars were coming to life, with crowds spilling out onto the sidewalks. Laughter, chatter, and the occasional burst of music all blended together into a symphony of revelry. The signs of celebration were everywhere, and Goa truly lived up to its reputation as a party destination, with different bars and clubs operating all night long.