chapter 16: making amends

Arya:

I sat at my office desk, staring blankly at the computer screen. The files and reports spread across my desk were a blur as I struggled to focus on my work. It was as if the paperwork in front of me might as well have been written in a foreign language because my mind was a whirlwind of thoughts, none of which had anything to do with the tasks at hand.

My gaze remained fixed on the computer screen. I've read the same paragraph at least a dozen times, and it still doesn't register. My inbox pinged with incoming emails, but I can't bring myself to open any of them.

The memory of last night's argument with Jaanvi replayed in my head like a broken record, tormenting me with every passing moment. I knew I had messed up, and I had messed up badly.

I had been way in over my head, not even considering how stuck up Jaanvi might have felt being locked in the house all day long. Instead, I had accused her of wanting more from me when she was just desperate to go out and spend the day. I felt like such an asshole. Shit.

I couldn't get her tear-soaked eyes out of my mind as she told me how fucking alone she had been. And there I was, leaving her without even bothering to check on her. How much more of a jerk could I possibly be?

I ran a hand through my hair, feeling the tension in my shoulders. I wanted to make things right with her, to apologize for my behavior, but I didn't even know how or where to start. I don't know if she'd ever forgive me for that.

While I was lost in all these thoughts, my office door flew open, and Rihan swaggered inside, a stupid grin plastered on his face.

"Heylo dudebro, how's your day going?" Rihan quipped, coming to stand in front of my desk.

I just shook my head and told him with a heavy sigh, "I'm not in the mood, Rihan."

Rihan raised an eyebrow and took a seat in front of me. "All right, let's hear it. What's got you all broody so early in the morning?"

I took a moment to collect my thoughts, leaning back in my chair. My fingers tapped lightly on the desk as I admitted, "I fucked up big time."

Rihan's eyebrows shot up. "Fucked up how?"

I exhaled and rubbed the back of my neck. "Jaanvi and I had an argument last night," I began. "Last night, she wasn't home when I got there, and I was worried that something might have happened to her. When she came back home, I just completely lost it. I yelled at her, and then things escalated pretty fast. She had asked me to take her out the previous day, and I accused her of wanting more from me, like she was demanding too much. But I didn't even consider how lonely she might have felt being inside the house at all times. I was completely out of line." I conceded, shifting uncomfortably in my chair.

Rihan winced sympathetically, his brows furrowing. "Man, that sounds rough."

My gaze dropped to my desk, a deep frown on my face. "It does. She was upset, and I just left her without even checking on her. I feel like such a jerk."

Rihan leaned back, scratching his head, clearly deep in thought. "Man, you really messed up there."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair in frustration. "I know, Rihan. I need to make things right, but I don't even know where to start."

Rihan flashed a cheeky grin. "Well, buddy, you're in the right place then! That's what your amazing best friend is here for."

I gave Rihan a skeptical look. "You got a plan?" I asked him.

Rihan's grin only grew wider. "Fuck yes, I'm the master of charm and charisma, you catch my vibe ?"

I rolled my eyes as I chuckled, "Alright, let's hear it, Captain Grand Gesture. What's your master plan?"