Chapter 32: Fence Mending

Victoria Brooks- Finley

The past three days I've spent holed up in this bedroom. If I go out into the living room or kitchen it's for as short of a time as I can. I'm avoiding Morgan. Pierce wants me to speak to her but I can't bring myself to. Anytime I see her I just feel a pit in my stomach. I can't get the image of her standing like an emotionless statue or smiling cruelly in the corner while Lucien tormented Chloe and I. Or the look in her eye as she told me she killed Pierce, tossing me his bloodied ring like it was hunk of meaningless metal. I know it was an act but I think she's right and she should consider a career in acting because it was a little too real.

This morning I sit up in bed mulling over this idiotic plan and what we do from here. As well, what exactly Lucien could be doing right now. I've been out of commission for over a month, I have no idea what he's done within my territory. I need a phone.

I storm into Kellan's room finding him sitting on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands. He startles at my presence immediately rolling his eyes at me. "What do you want?"

"I need your phone." I just need 5 minutes to know what is happening.

His eyebrows pull together. "Who are you calling?"

"A noble of mine I need to know what's going on in my city."

"Lucien's in your palace." Scarletts states behind me at the threshold of the door. I turn around to face her standing still with an air of anxiousness.

My face falls and I take a small step forwards towards her. My voice drops into a restrained calmness, "What do you mean he's in my palace?"

She crosses her arms nervously. "He arrived there two days ago with like three other cars of people behind him." My lips part about to speak, "Riley tried calling you but obviously you don't have a phone right now, she called me- kind of a last resort- saying that Lucien just showed up." She says before I could say anything. "She's been slowly getting people out of the palace but so far Lucien hasn't done anything to them." She says scrunching her face, just as confused as I am.

"He hasn't killed all of them to get back at me?"

She shakes her head no. "Not doing anything is way more concerning than if he did." Kellan comments from behind. He's not wrong.

"The people she's gotten out, where are they going?"

"I told her to send them to Morgans. Ryker already knows to let them in."

"Why didn't you get me when she called?" I ask with more temper in my voice than I had wanted.

She sucks her teeth. "I was waiting for you to wake up, it wasn't an emergency. If it was I would've kicked in your door and forced you up. She's fine, everyone is fine just confused. She called me only a few hours ago, I missed the first call then called her back." She looks over at Kellan. "Don't worry I told no one where we are I literally sprinted for an hour," she holds her hand out towards the door, "in one direction before I called back just in case Lucien suddenly became a phone expert."

"So what is he doing?" I question in a hushed voice, asking more myself.

"I don't know. Riley said he even ordered his own people not to touch any of yours. So far just..." She swallows and stares down at the floor for a second. "So far he's just been torturing Grayson."