Chapter 35: Ignoring Requests

Victoria Brooks-Finley

I had ignored everyones request for me to stay back. I was not leaving Morgan to her own devices, figuring out how to get out after Sterling drives off with Grayson. I don't have to go in with her but I'll be her getaway driver. I left Pierce back at the house and convinced a panicked Scarlett to go to Morgan's palace to help my people like she intended. Kellan protested but I left anyway. I flew out about 20 minutes after they did, I was already on the way to my palace- I was about 7 minutes out but after that phone call after hearing Morgan scream like that I floored it.

I arrive at my palace, listening in from outside I can still hear her screams as if she was right next to me. I burst through the large front doors then sprint into my throne room when I'm met with the unfortunate site of Lucien sitting in my throne holding a rock. A crystal staring down at it like it's his most treasured possession.

I go to run at him. To fight him, to I don't know, harm him in some kind of way. He holds out his hand, "Victoria, you can either fight me or help her." He tilts his head in a condescending manner.

I stop in my tracks. I listen in to Morgan's screams, physically flinching to the sound of them. I say nothing to him, as I start fast walking fighting everything in me that wants to bludgeon his face. "It's a shame really. I gave her all of this and she repays me by conspiring to kill me."

"She's screaming in pain right now because of you and you think you're owed something?" I say walking past him trying to listen in to find where she is exactly.

He appears in front of me, grabbing my arm to stop me from walking. "You don't have to bring me my dagger. I'd actually prefer you didn't so I could drag this out."

"Let go of me." I scowl disgusted by him.

He smiles unnervingly as he pulls his hand back.

Not giving him a second thought I go find the source of Morgan's cries in my main office. I storm into the pitch black room, filled with her pained screams. Turning on the lights to Morgan lying on her back with a thin layer of sweat over her and squeezing her eyes shut.

I run to her, kneeling down I hold onto her shoulder, "I'm here, tell me what to do. What do I do?" I ask frantically, looking her up and down trying to find the source of whatever this is. One hand was gripping her neck but the other was outstretched shaking on the floor. My eyebrows pull together at the mark on the center of her palm that is faintly glowing. The mark trailed to her wrist with tiny pale vein-like marks extending from the glowing thicker mark. I rolled up her sleeve just a bit and it only kept going.

Suddenly her cries stop and the faint glow dissipates. She inhales like she hasn't had a proper breath in years. A deep ragged exhale as her hand drops from her neck laying lifeless in the floor. She breathes heavily in and out, her breath hitching on every inhale.

I let her calm down not wanting to start with questions as she's still struggling to breathe correctly. After a little bit she tries to sit up, clearly struggling I help her up. She pulls her legs in a little so she can lean on them with her elbows.

I place my hand on her back to provide support for her while she stares at the floor in silence. Her hair blocking her face, while she breathes shallowly. "Morgan?" I ask delicately, "Are you okay?"

She doesn't answer.

I use my free hand reaching for her chin to physically turn her face to me.

For the first time since Lucien took her away from me, she's upset. Visibly. She doesn't look haunted or detached she just looks upset. Her eyes are bloodshot and the tears aren't falling yet but they're pooling, practically filling her eyes. "He said he got rid of it." She mutters she may be facing me but she's looking through me with a thousand yard stare. "He didn't break it."

"Break what?" I ask looking back and forth between her eyes. I saw her shattered after her human family was killed but this looks like Lucien just crushed those tiny broken pieces into dust and set them aflame.

"I did everything he asked and he didn't get rid of it." Her voice breaking as the tears finally fell from her eyes. I don't know what she means, I don't know what she's talking about but whatever it is has her crying. Morgan Sinclair is crying.

Tears began forming in my eyes seeing her like this. Sorrow, hurt, and torment shine in her eyes. The Morgan Sinclair; the heartless, full blood, High Royal, who's only ever came across as cold and cruel suddenly looks like what she was; a 21 year old who was ripped away from her family and everything she knew, including herself.

"I'm sorry." I say.

She sits there so quiet I could hear a pin drop as tears continuously roll down her cheeks.