37

Amber knew how things were hard. Tom knew about her affair with Simon. He had banned her from seeing him. She wasn't allowed to spend Tom with Aimee outside of school.

She hated how things had changed so much. She missed Simon. But she knew her dad was serious. He would throw her out and she would have nowhere to go.

She was thankful that he hadn't told anyone about her and Simon. She knew if it got out, then the whole school would know and Simon would lose his job.

She hated how her life had been flipped upside down. She was so happy and content. And now she wasn't.

Her dad was barely talking to her. He dropped her off at school. And he waited for her to be finished. She didn't know how to keep on pretending as if everything is okay.

She knew it wasn't okay. She was far from okay. She felt as though she was going to break down soon.

All she knew was that her life was falling apart. And she didn't know how to handle it. She felt as though she needed to somehow disappear.

Morning came. She was lying in bed. She couldn't sleep at all. The door opened and Tom walked in. "I've made breakfast. Do you want some?" He asked.

Amber just nodded. She wasn't in the mood. She climbed out of bed. Tom looked to her. "You're doing well at staying away from him."

Amber scoffed. "I'm not allowed to see my best friend outside of school. How unfair is that?" She said.

Tom rolled his eyes. "You can't see her. She's his daughter. And you'll end up fucking him," he said.

"No I won't! You threatened to kill him. So why the hell would I risk his life?" Amber said as she stormed off.

Tom knew how he had been harsh. But he didn't want to risk his daughter being ostracised at school.

***
Amber went into school. She walked over to Aimee and sighed. "I'm sorry. I haven't been able to come and see you."

Aimee smiled. "It's okay. I understand. My dad has been sulking. It was my mum who told your dad about the affair. I've gone ape shit at her," she told her.

Amber sighed and nodded. "I thought it would be. I'm just... I don't know. I just want things to be so simple."

"I know. Trust me. My dad is so miserable. I hate seeing him like that," Aimee said. She sighed. "It's going to be okay. You get that right?"

Amber shrugged and looked at her. "I hope so."

***
Amber was sitting in the common room. She looked up as Simon walked in. He closed the door and sighed. "Look. I know we're not meant to be seen together. But I can't stop thinking about you. I love you Amber."

"I love you too. But if my dad sees us together, he will kill you.  I can't lose you," Amber said as she walked over to him.

Simon nodded. He smiled. "Okay. I will fix this for us. I promise you. I love you and it's going to be okay," he said.

But could Amber and Simon overcome everything that was about to come their way?