7 - promises

The pogues have been chilling by the pool. Pope was pretty pleased with the vibes, considering he did expect something dramatic. But the night just began, right?

Suddenly the people around them started chanting:"Topper! Topper! Topper! Jump! Jump! Jump!"

Anastasia lifted her head to see Topper and Sarah on the roof, preparing to jump into the pool.
Right when the two jumped off the roof, landing in the water below; Anastasia turned around to face Kiara. She saw how the smile of her best friend was long gone.

"You good?", Anastasia asked while everyone around them was cheering for Topper and Sarah.

"I'm fine", Kiara lied. It was a bad lie. Anastasia could tell once Kiara had to look away. So the dark haired girl took Kies hand into hers so they could talk somewhere more quiet.

"I know when you lie, Kie. What's bothering you?", Anastasia asked with sympathy filling her voice.

Kiara didn't know what to answer. Anastasia deserved the truth, after all she was her friend and the boys knew too - but. There was this fear spreading in Kiaras stomach. As if her fear would become reality the moment she'd say it out loud. The fear to loose Anastasia just like she lost Sarah.
So instead Kiara just shrugged:"Nothing important, I promise".

"I'll tell you, when you tell me why you don't drink", Kiara joked, trying to change the topic.

Anastasia's smile dropped within seconds.
Kie didn't mean anything bad, but recognized this wasn't a topic to joke about in front of Anastasia. Suddenly she started wondering how well did she even know her best friend?

"I do drink", Anastasia managed to find her words,"I just - I try to avoid it".

"Why?", John B appeared behind Anastasia, followed by his friends.

Seeing so many people stare straight at her, waiting for an answer, was something Anastasia didn't manage quite well.
Pressure was rising.
Trying to not disappoint.
Avoiding to lie at them.

"Because I do reckless things when drunk". Her answer was short and quick; not a lie but also not the detailed truth.
But once she answered, Anastasia couldn't help herself but look for Rafe - reckless things.

"Alright so let's get drunk!", JJ yelled and laughed. Anastasia busted out in laughter with him. The fact that he was being so purely himself, made her laugh.
And maybe her friends were right. Alcohol wouldn't be that bad as long as she wouldn't over do it. Around the pogues, she most certainly wouldn't - Anastasia was sure.

"JJ", John B muttered underneath his breath, trying to get his friend to actually realize what was really going on here.

"No it's fine, John B", Anastasia assured,"Actually JJ is correct. Let's get something to drink".

Pope and Kiara followed their friends pretty confused after the conversation that just happened. John B, JJ and Anastasia were walking inside towards the bar to grab something to drink.

Once Anastasia held the red cup filled with a vodka, coke mix - the JJs special - she started to have doubts about all of this. She twirled the cup around in her hand. Once her friends cheered, Anastasia submitted to the peer pressure and raised the cup to her lips, taking a sip.

A sip turned into emptying a cup.
And another one.
And suddenly all of the bad vibes from her talk with Kiara were long gone.

"One thing I have to admit", JJ said, raising his cup and Anastasia expected something important,"Those kooks know how to party. And they have the greatest liquor, man".

"The music could be better", Pope shrugged and raised his cup to his lips. But before he could take a sip, Kiara and Anastasia squealed at the same time.