Chapter 4: Trust and Scuffles

It turned out that Allison didn't wake me up for my shift. She watched the guys all night. I found that out when I woke up the next morning and I was still in the bunk.

I frowned and practically fell out of bed, rubbing my eyes in exhaustion. I stretched and rolled my head around on my shoulders. I dragged my feet into the living room and spotted my crazy friend cooing something in Luke's ear. My eyes widened.

"Allison, what the heck are you doing?" I cried loudly.

She straightened up immediately and stepped away from him. When he glanced at me, the look in his eyes said, "THANK YOU!! NOW GET ME OUT OF HERE!!" Allison bit her lip and looked away, but she didn't say anything. I placed my hands on my hips and tapped my foot against the ground impatiently, but I knew that wasn't going to make her crack.

"Breakfast's ready," she squeaked out. "Want some cereal?"

"I was hoping for some bacon, but cereal's good, too," I said with a shrug. I tried to push what just happened out of my mind and forget about it. "Do you have chocolate Mini Wheats?"

"Of course."

"I love you."

"I know you do."

We sat at the kitchen table and ate our breakfast. Allison had bags under her eyes from staying up all night, but the queer light in her eyes hadn't dimmed yet. I watched her cautiously, waiting for her to crack and attack. But she never did. She just chewed her cereal slowly and stared into space absently.

"Hey, Al, why don't I watch the guys today?" I offered. "You look like a zombie from 'The Walking Dead'. No offense."

Allison shook her head. "No, I can continue. You have to get us out of here."

I sighed. "Where are we even going?"

"I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking of a secluded place in the countryside somewhere. Off the face of the earth. A speck on the map. Yeah, that's it."

"Do we get WiFi out there?" I mumbled, stroking my phone's sleek back with my finger.

"I doubt it," my crazy friend said, grinning. She held up three iPhones: green, blue, and black. "I confiscated the rest of their phones so they can't call the police."

I forced a smile. "Yay, good thinking," I said. I pushed my half-finished cereal away from me. My stomach churned sickeningly. "I better start driving. I'll pull over later, though, so you can rest. I can watch the guys."

"Okay," she sighed. "Get going."

I nodded, dumped the rest of my breakfast in the sink, and plopped down in the driver's seat. I checked the time on the dashboard when I started up the car; it was a little past nine in the morning. That was kind of late....

I bit my lip. What if the FBI was tracking us or something? I threw away the GPS and turned off Bluetooth and things like that. I wasn't sure if that was enough, though. I took out my debit card and cellphone. I knew that I could keep my debit card, but not my phone. I closed my eyes tightly as I tossed it with the GPS. I heard something crack. It was probably my heart. But I would take every measure imaginable to prevent going to jail. An innocent girl like me didn't belong there.

I pulled out of the trailer park and drove on the highway. I hummed "Immortals" by Fall Out Boy under my breath to distract myself. I missed my CDs. I missed Killer. I missed my blanket and TV and snacks. I missed everything about my old life.

"Hey, Al!" I called. "Could you call my dad and ask him to feed Killer for me? My poor kitty must be starving!"

"Okay."