Chapter 03: Sunshine

Sunshine

Inventor Granger had always been a compassionate and generous soul, even from her earliest days as a child. She never shed tears, always striving to bring joy to others. People often turned to her in their times of trouble, and she willingly gave everything she had, even sacrificing some of her beloved inventions for their well-being. As one of the top scholars at the Archippo Museum, she had a responsibility to serve others, and she did so with her whole heart, showering them with love.

By the age of nine, adults leaned on her, sharing their troubles and finding solace in her presence. She became their beacon of hope. Yet, when her own time of suffering arrived, when her world became a chilling hurricane, almost all the lights around her went out. Almost everyone offered only a fleeting, shallow kind of love before finding excuses to distance themselves. But perhaps that was the path she had to walk-toward a singular light that she had no choice but to follow, a light of love and truth. Sometimes, the road to heaven feels like a journey through hell.

During those dark times, she felt an emptiness like never before, in her mind, body, and soul. She felt utterly worthless and expendable, trapped in the depths of despair. There were moments when her emotions seemed to vanish entirely, replaced only by a relentless urge to keep moving. Then, in an instant, she'd collapse to the floor, overwhelmed by grief that seeped from the very core of her being. Days turned into weeks, and months passed by, with her soul constantly questioning why she should continue to live.

It was during one of those moments that she sought solace from a higher power, asking her father why she was still alive. The answer came, "Because I love you, my daughter, and you have great things to accomplish. So live, breathe, and walk."

"Auriveil Island is gone. It no longer exists..." (Y/n) mumbled, her voice soft and fragile as she lay there, one eye fluttering open, the other still concealed beneath bandages. "I hope my father can forgive me..." She continued, her words tinged with a sense of regret and sorrow.

Law, who had been occupied with some paperwork, immediately turned his full attention to her upon hearing her voice. "How are you feeling?" he inquired, his gaze fixed on her intently, concern evident in his eyes regardless of his emotionless expression.

"To be honest..." (Y/n) began cautiously, mindful of her injuries and the care she had received, "My whole body feels like it's been beaten up with a single punch, but I'm alright now." Her response was honest and reflected the state of her recovery.

"Thank you for tending to my medical needs," she added, bowing her head in a gesture of respect. "Even though I'm a stranger to you, it's quite perplexing that you took me onto your ship."

Law, maintaining his composed demeanor, responded, "You were a person in need. I only did my job as a doctor."

(Y/n) offered him a warm smile, appreciative of his kindness. "But still, you don't strike me as someone who readily takes in random strangers," she remarked.

"You were blown away, Lady-ya. You ended up crashing on my ship. I had no choice but to take you in," Law explained matter-of-factly.

Her eyes widened in realization, and she pointed to herself. "I was blown away?" She then hung her head low, mumbling to herself, "This is one of the downsides of that space cannon. I really should not initiate orbital strikes near my vicinity."

But she understood that sometimes there were no other options, especially when it came to the well-being of Flavian Weiss. She had commanded Turri to use teleportation to protect the child.

"So that was an orbital strike..." (Y/n) heard Law mumble, observing him lost in deep thought. "Are you that infamous Granger (Y/n) everyone's been talking about? Just because you launched - I don't know, a space cannon?" Law inquired, clearly intrigued.