Chapter 10: Sunfall

Sunfall

As the midday sun cast a warm glow over the bustling streets, Law and (Y/n) strolled along the quaint coastal town, the remnants of their encounter with the notorious pirate captain still lingering in their minds. The clinking of cutlasses and the sound of crashing waves were replaced by the comforting hum of people engaged in their daily activities.

Settling into the cozy ambiance of a nearby restaurant, the aroma of freshly prepared seafood and spices wafted through the air, awakening their appetites. Their choice of a modest, yet inviting, eatery offered a soothing respite from the adrenaline-fueled events of the morning. The clinks of cutlery against plates and the gentle murmur of conversation provided a harmonious backdrop, calming their frayed nerves.

While perusing the menu, (Y/n)'s thoughts inevitably drifted to Dante's recent harrowing encounter. The distress etched on the child's face when recounting his time as a hostage served as a stark reminder of the dangers that encircled their lives. The trauma he must have endured in the clutches of lawless pirates weighed heavily on her heart, intensifying her determination to shield him from any future harm.

"Are you alright?" Law inquired, his voice laced with genuine concern as he leaned forward, observing (Y/n) intently. "Seemed like quite the effort to handle the rest of those pesky pirates while I was dealing with the captain. Don't worry, though, I could have handled the lot of them myself," he added, a mischievous glint dancing in his eyes.

A sardonic smile tugged at the corners of (Y/n)'s lips as she arched an eyebrow in response. "Oh, really? So that dramatic swing you took with your sword was merely for show, then?" she retorted, a playful glint in her gaze. "I suppose I should have brought some popcorn to enjoy the spectacle," she added, her tone a playful jab at Law's bravado.

Law's grin widened, a playful retort at the ready. "Ah, but you know I can't resist stealing the spotlight every now and then," he quipped, a hint of self-assurance in his voice. "Besides, I couldn't let you have all the fun, now could I? You might start thinking you're the only one capable of handling these swashbuckling miscreants," he added, a twinkle of amusement in his eye.

With a light chuckle, (Y/n) leaned back, a mock sigh escaping her lips. "Oh, of course not," she replied, feigning an air of mock humility. "After all, someone has to keep the legend of your daring exploits alive, right?" she teased, a playful banter swirling between them, infusing the post-battle ambiance with a lighthearted camaraderie that was as comforting as it was exhilarating.

Law rolled his eyes dramatically, a playful scoff escaping his lips as he settled into his seat, his sword Kikoku propped up against the side. "Oh, please," he retorted, a hint of mock exasperation in his voice. "Let's not forget, without my impeccable strategic planning, you wouldn't have known to make your bell where to aim in the first place," he quipped, a satisfied smirk playing on his lips.

(Y/n) shot him a playful glare, her protective embrace around her little brother tightening a notch. "Excuse me?" she countered, her tone a mix of indignation and amusement. "You wouldn't have even made it to your 'strategic planning' if I hadn't cleared the way for you," she retorted, a teasing glint in her narrowed eyes. "I practically had to choreograph the whole dance for you," she added, her voice laced with a playful edge.

Law leaned forward, a mischievous glint in his eye as he raised an eyebrow. "Well, aren't we quite the choreographer now?" he replied, a playful smirk tugging at his lips. "Perhaps I should consider a few dance lessons from you next time, just to make sure our performance is truly impeccable," he added, his tone a playful nod to their synchronized chaos on the battlefield.