Chapter 18: Sunkissed

Sunkissed

"You'll set them ablaze, Sunny," the whisper permeates her ears. "Regardless of your surname, you will burn the world."

"Leave my mind! Leave! Leave!" (Y/n) shouted, gripping her head as she knelt, vigorously striking her head, causing dizziness, yet persisting until the voice within her head vanished.

"Regardless of the creations, the world is destined to burn by your name."

(Y/n) was poised to strike her head once more, but Zoro, the green-haired samurai, intercepted, restraining her hand. "Hey! Stop it! You'll only harm yourself!"

"Let my hand go!" (Y/n) yelled, eyes brimming with tears. "Sometimes, the pain inside is the only thing that feels real."

"You will burn."

Zoro sighed, taking in the disheveled sight before him — (Y/n)'s hair tousled, cheeks flushed, and eyes swollen from relentless tears. Despite the mess, he noted the Imperial Scholar insignia on her I.D., marking her affiliation with the Archippo Museum.

"There are other ways to confront the pain, Miss (Y/n)," Zoro remarked, a hint of concern in his gruff voice. "Get up, and the floor's dirty; you'll get germs."

(Y/n) weakly sniffed, her vulnerability stark against the museum's sterile surroundings. Zoro, though accustomed to tough battles, found himself grappling with the complexities of a distraught woman. He groaned inwardly — women could be such a handful at times. Rolling his eyes, he extended a hand to help (Y/n) rise, silently acknowledging that beneath the mess, there was a person in need of understanding.

Silently, (Y/n) accepted Zoro's hand, her eyes reflecting a mix of gratitude and lingering sorrow. No words passed between them, yet the connection resonated. His firm grip became her anchor, and with quiet acknowledgment, she allowed him to lift her from the cold museum floor.

Beside her, Turri, the small robot companion, hovered with a faint hum, its tiny presence mirroring (Y/n)'s emotional vulnerability.

"How did you even get here? Only Imperial Scholars are allowed in the forbidden halls," (Y/n) inquired, breaking the silence that hung in the air after her moment of controlled breathing.

Zoro, his cheeks tinted with embarrassment, shifted uneasily. "I kind of... lost my way here," he admitted, his voice carrying a sheepish tone. His gaze remained fixed on the floor, avoiding direct eye contact with (Y/n), as if the confession itself added to his discomfort.

Curiosity mingled with a hint of amusement in (Y/n)'s eyes as she processed his admission. "Lost, in a museum?" she teased, a small, weary smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

Zoro scratched his head, a nervous chuckle escaping him. "Yeah, well, these places have too many twists and turns. Easy to get turned around," he mumbled, finally meeting (Y/n)'s gaze with a lopsided grin.

(Y/n) chuckled at Zoro's admission, appreciating the irony of a swordsman navigating the labyrinthine museum. With a delicate hand, she retrieved a handkerchief, gently dabbing away the remnants of tears that lingered on her cheeks. "I'll lead the way for you, don't worry," she assured Zoro, who sighed in relief at the offer of guidance.

"Thanks, I appreciate it," Zoro replied, a nod of gratitude accompanying his words. The contrast between the swordsman's tough exterior and the unexpected vulnerability in this scholarly setting continued to intrigue (Y/n).

Turning her attention to Turri, the small robot companion, (Y/n) offered a warm smile. "Can you make a status report to Law? I think I've gathered enough information about Svargo. Tell him we're done investigating the forbidden halls."