Chapter 09: Sunfire

Sunfire

"How come you have so many berries with you, Miss (Y/n)?"

(Y/n) muttered, "I earn my keep, Penguin," as she came to a halt in front of a shop with a display of fedora hats visible through a clear glass window. "Turri holds onto my earnings since I have a tendency to spend them on useless items that brings me joy," she added.

Law expressed his irritation with a gruff grunt as he clutched a squeaky toy. "I wasn't aware that dog playthings could bring you joy," he complained, his other hand firmly gripping a slice of watermelon.

"It's adorable!" She childishly reasoned out as she carried her newly bought fedora hats. "And for your information, squeaky toys are quite adorable to look at whenever I'm stressed," she added.

"I didn't know my inventor would treat herself like a dog," Law teased, a lopsided smirk appearing on his lips when an irk mark appeared on (Y/n)'s forehead.

(Y/n) shot Law an annoyed look, her irk mark deepening. "I'm not treating myself like a dog, Law. It's just a harmless way to relieve stress!"

Penguin, who had been listening to their banter, chimed in with a grin, "Well, as long as it keeps you happy, (Y/n), I guess it's worth it."

(Y/n) nodded with a satisfied smile, holding her newly acquired fedora hats with pride. "Exactly, Penguin! Your captain here finds it difficult to see the fun side of squeaky toys."

"You're welcome to treat me like a dog, Miss (Y/n)~" Penguin playfully whispered near her, swaying his body as if he was fanboying over her.

(Y/n) let out a nervous chuckle and stood closer to Law, using him as a shield against Penguin, who was playfully cooing and wiggling as if trying to charm her with his antics.

In a moment of annoyance, Law clenched his teeth on a watermelon seed, and with surprising force, he intentionally launched it from his mouth like a bullet, striking Penguin and causing him to be knocked out.

"P-penguin!" (Y/n) worriedly called out, as she gave Law a slight glare and a mild smack on the shoulder.

Penguin let out a pained groan, initially ready to voice his protest. However, upon seeing the displeased expression on his captain's face, which clearly conveyed the order to keep his distance from the inventor, he chuckled nervously and quickly rose to his feet.

Penguin fidgeted and stammered, "W-well, I, uh, didn't mean any harm by it, you know. Just trying to lighten the mood with some jokes, Captain."

With a disapproving hum, Law cast a stern glance at Penguin. He then placed his hand on the small of the inventor's back, gently urging her to move forward. "Take care of these items and ensure nothing is lost," he instructed her. "And inform Bepo to prepare the Polar Tang for departure when we return to the ship." His tone held the weight of authority as he directed the crew's responsibilities.

Penguin nodded in acknowledgment, his expression more serious now. "Understood, Captain. I'll make sure everything is secured, and I'll relay the message to Bepo. We'll be ready for departure when you and Miss (Y/n) return."

With (Y/n)'s belongings in tow, Penguin left the two of them alone amidst the bustling streets of the island, each going their separate ways as they continued forward. The street was alive with the vibrant energy of the town, a stark contrast to the earlier squabble over squeaky toys and purchases, now replaced by a sense of comfort and the need to hold each other's hands.