𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝙸𝚗𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎

𝚂𝟼 𝙴𝟸𝟷

'𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚘 𝚋𝚊𝚍𝚕𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚞𝚗𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎'
                                                            -𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙹𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚛

Rebecca was sitting beside April at a table listening to Bailey teach.

"Uh, reaction, observation, communication--  Any questions so far?"

About everyone raised their hands but a few people.

Bailey sighs. "We are doing this because Chief Shepherd suggests we brush up on our patient sensitivity skills, that's why. And it just so happens, this morning was a very good time, besides, half of you were raised by wolves" Bailey said and then wrote reaction on the whiteboard. "Reaction.  Keep your face impassive whether prompted by a patient's appearance of lab results, facial expressions, of surprise, concern, disgust, et cetera, can be counterproductive... Jokes don't make jokes about patients, not in front of them, not even in private"

"Well..."

"Yang?"

"What if the joke is really funny?"

"It's not, neither was that one. Moving on"

Rebecca shook her head at Cristina with a small smile.

-

Bailey then wrote Observation on the board. "Observation" her pager then started to go off. "Okay, use reflective listening, repeat the patient's feelings back to them. Um, I hear that you're concerned about the surgery let me explain the risks"

"I can see you like vegetables, after surgery, you might become one," Alex said leaning close to Meredith and Cristina.

Meredith along with Cristina and Rebecca laughed and a few others did too.

Bailey took a glance at them over her shoulder. "Communication. Uh, don't use Jargon use language that the patient can understand be creative in using metaphors"

"Oh, I'm terrible with metaphors. I can never come up with 'em" Charles said.

Rebecca then turned to look at him. "Why, 'cause you're dumb as a box of hammers?"

"You see, that's a good one. You're an ass, but that was a good one"

"Be clear and comprehensive explain all risks and all probable outcomes, leaving nothing out. Questions-- Adamson?"

"Why are you going so fast?"

Rebecca rolled her eyes. "Did you not hear her pager go off or are you deaf"

April hit Rebecca in the arm and Rebecca turned to look at her and shrugged which made April roll her eyes.

"It just so happens that we have an emergent patient arriving, who will need a little extra sensitivity, so remember to employ your... R-O-C, and you will--hmm-- rock your patient's world. Okay that's enough of that, follow me to the pit. Hustle!" Bailey said and also ignoring what Rebecca said.

-

Rebecca walked out to the pit with the others and was now standing beside April. Once the ambulances pulled up and parked Bailey turned to the residents.