𝙸 𝚆𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚂𝚞𝚛𝚟𝚒𝚟𝚎

𝚂𝟽 𝙴𝟸𝟷

"Gracious Providence, to whom I owe all my powers, why didst thou not withhold some of those blessings I possess, and substitute in their place a feeling of self-confidence and contentment?"

            —  Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Rebecca walked out of her room at the same time, that April did.

"morning," April said with a smile.

Rebecca looked at her. "Morning, sleep well?"

April nods her head. "Yeah, did you?"

Rebecca nodded her head and leaned over and kissed her cheek. "Yeah I did"

April smiled when Rebecca kissed her on the cheek. "Wanna carpool to work?"

"Sure"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rebecca was walking down the hall of the hospital with April and Owen.

"It's based on a protocol used in Aviation. A simple checklist has led to a huge drop in plane crashes" April told them, but mainly Owen.

"Cause it cuts down on human error"

"Exactly, and I thought instead of--" April said but stopped when a nurse handed her a clipboard.

"Here you go"

"Thanks-- telling you about it in an interview, I'd walk you through it. So the checklist is the first page on every patient clipboard so you can see at a glance that Mr. Aranda has been checked in for coughing up blood, had been seen by a Physician, has had a chest x-ray, and those results have come back, so now we just need to get a consent for Bronchoscopy to rule out cancer" April said.

"Cancer? He might have cancer?"

"Like Grandpa had? He died"

"Whoa, whoa. What are you talking about?" Mr. Aranda asked.

"I'm sorry I-I said rule out cancer. There's a spot on your x-ray that we just need to take a closer look at so that we can be sure that your dad's just fine. Just to be sure, okay?"

Rebecca shook her head a little and walked away since she had to do her rounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rebecca was sitting at the bar with Cristina sipping on her beer when Alex walked up to them.

"The job in Africa? The bitch stole it out from under me"

"Who?" Cristina asked.

Rebecca took a glance at him.

"Lucy. I told her I'd stay. You open yourself up to someone for one freakin' second... Calahan, I'll take a double whiskey. I freakin' better get Chief Resident"

"Sorry bud, but I don't think you are getting it" Rebecca told him.

Alex just gave her a look.

"Here you go" Calahan said handing Alex his drinks.

"Scotch, please" April said appearing beside Rebecca. "You know, the rules are there for a reason"

"Oh, boy"

Rebecca looked over at Cristina and glared at her.

"I killed a woman when I first started here. I got fired for it... because I missed a little step-- one simple step. We follow the protocols. We don't skip steps, people live-- simple as that. You know, you're right. I probably won't be Chief Resident, but the checklists work. You can't tell me they don't" April said and grabbed her drink and walked away.

Rebecca watched her walk away before getting her drink and followed her. "You, if you do get Chief Resident you will do a great job at it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise"

April turned to look at her with a smile. "Thanks, so would you"

"Oh babe, I would not make a great Chief Resident, and I wouldn't want to be"

"Yeah okay if you say so" April said and kissed her cheek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I did a fanfic about the way home a series on Hallmark would you want to read it?

Edited: no

{603}