3.1: father who stepped up.

"I'm engaged to him, Joe. I'm marrying Travis. We have no chance, ever." Taylor tried to explain to her ex for what seemed like the 400th time since they had broken up over four years ago. It wasn't as if she hated him, she just couldn't stand to be trapped in a relationship with him. It would have been nice to be with him for the rest of their lives and raise their daughter together, but it just wasn't what she wanted, it wasn't what made her happy.

"You were supposed to marry me," Joe told her, referring to their six or seven-month engagement before she broke things off almost four years ago. She rolled her eyes. She was already tired of this conversation. It was one that was repeated each and every time they saw each other.

"I can't do this anymore. Every time I drop Robyn off, you do this. You can't stay obsessed with me forever." Saying he was obsessed with her might have come off as arrogant or as if she was full of herself, but that's what it felt like. Every woman he ever dated since their break up hated her because of how much he spoke of her. How much he compared them to her.  He was ruining his own life while she had moved on and she was happy. 

"We belong together, Taylor." He said, causing her to let out a deep sigh. How did she put up with this for so long? She didn't know, but today would be the last day she faced it head-on ever again. 

"Selena will be over in a few days to pick her up. She'll be the middleman for us from now on. I can't take this." Taylor told him and proceeded to walk out of his home. As she did so, she texted Selena, asking her if she could do her a huge favor. Selena was Robyn's godmother after all, she was sure she would do it. If not, she had other options as well. 

***

"Dad said when he and Mommy get married we're going to go to a new house and I might have to go to a different school but I like my school." Robyn vented to her father about the news Taylor and Travis dropped on her a few days ago. 

"What?" Joe asked his daughter.  He didn't care about the new home or school situation. He cared about his daughter addressing another man as her father. "What do you call Travis?"

"Dad." Robyn replied, confused by his question.

"You shouldn't call him that Robbie. He's not your dad, I'm your dad." Joe was trying to suppress his jealousy and hint of anger, but he had no reason to be upset with the child sitting before him. He needed to release this anger on the rightful person, Taylor. 

"I know daddy. But I like calling him dad." Joe let out a sign. He didn't want to explain to a six-year-old why it hurt his feelings that she was calling someone else a name that was exclusively meant for him. He picked up his phone, ready to text Taylor about his new discovery.

To Taylor Swift: why is she calling your boyfriend dad?

From Taylor Swift: he's my fiancé Joseph. And she calls him that because that's what she wants to call him. I have no control over that.

To Taylor Swift: I don't like that she does.

From Taylor Swift: that's not my problem.

***

Taylor threw her phone down on the kitchen table, letting out a sigh. "What's wrong?" Travis asked her, noting her sudden mood switch. It was their first child-free weekend in a couple of months, and normally she would be happy to have a bit of time away from their six-year-old. 

"Robyn must be calling you daddy at Joe's house. He just texted me to ask why she's doing so." Travis shook his head. He hated that his wife-to-be had to deal with such a miserable man as the father of her daughter. Every time Robyn went to visit there was a problem, and Robyn never came back happy. She always seemed like she was stressed, and came back with lots of questions about things that weren't a child's business. Their interactions with Robyn when she returned only gave them confirmation that Joe was bad-mouthing both of them in front of her or to her directly.