Dark Romance

"How is your hangover? Beautiful show stealer!" Ava asks, walking back into the dorm room as I fail miserably to try getting out of bed.

Her soaked hair, dirty clothes in her hands, and fresh scent of 'mountain air' is a reminder that I need to shower too. "It sucks!" I softly answer, letting my head drop back onto the pillow. The small bit of sunlight tries to illuminate the room, becoming my worst enemy.

She drops her clothes into her hamper and spins around. She drops down onto her bed, her eyes staring at me like she's waiting for another response. "For the past three years in this dorm with you, I never expected this 'new version' of you Madison."

"I didn't either!" I add and turn to my side, feeling like my stomach wants to implode, my head wants to explode, and the rest of me just feels numb. "I also didn't expect to get that drunk last night. I want to do exactly what you and I agreed on, but this cannot be every night thing."

"Ava!" A male voice calls out from our dorm door. "Can I come in? Are you decent? It's Brayden, by the way."

"Come in, dork!" She yells, kicking her small hamper of dirty clothes off to the corner. "I'm dressed! I know you saw me walking into the dorm room."

Brayden is Ava's boyfriend. He's kind of preppy and is known around the college. His close friends are all a little different. I haven't met all of them, but most of them tend to try hitting on me, and I find no interest in anyone on this campus.

"I did see you walking down the hall!" He admits as he opens our door. "You looked undeniably beautiful!"

"Cheesy," Ava argues. "And who is your friend? Move over and let him in."

"Mason," Brayden announces, waving his hand in the guy's direction. "You two know Mason, right? He's...Mason."

Deep brown eyes, jet black hair, a jawline that begs me to run my fingers along it. What am I doing? He's gorgeous. I just lied to myself. There is a friend of Brayden's I finally find attractive. What feeling is this guy pulling out of me right now?

His style reminds me of a cross between bad boyish and motorcycle enthusiast if I even said that correctly. He is mysterious but in a way that I want to open his mystery book and read it...every word. And I've never 'opened my book' for anyone before.

"Earth to Madison?" Ava waves her hands at me bringing me back to reality. "Are you going to the party tonight?"

I shake my head, inhale a deep breath, and return my attention to her. "Yeah. I'm sorry, I had something in my eye."

Wiping the fake 'thing' in my eye, I analyze this guy Brayden brought here, noticing the outline of a cross underneath his tight black shirt. He's muscular, but nothing too extreme. And his dark ripped jeans look suits him very well. I'm not looking for a relationship, but something draws me to him and it's strong, whatever it is.

"You can come in," Ava explains to Mason as she grabs Brayden's hand and forces him inside and away from the door, bringing him to her bed. "Madison doesn't bite. She's not looking for romance either, just so you're aware. She's emotionally unavailable."

"Ava!" I yell, tossing my mini pillow at her, and hitting her in the arm. "Don't tell people I am emotionally unavailable?"

"Are you?" Mason asks, his deep tone reaching into the deepest most sensual part of my body. "Emotionally unavailable?"

Slightly in shock, I scoff and avert my eyes. "That is none of your business, new guy."

"Sorry." He admits, his eyes trying to dig deeper into my soul. "I don't mean to pry."