-1-

Alex

I'm not good at making friends. It has never really been my thing, and why would I need to? I have my sister June and my best friend Nora. Although, to be honest I don't even know why Nora puts up with me. I mean, it's not like I'm not fun. I am, if I should say so myself, but I just tend to get a little caught up in things and then forget to nurture the relationships I have. Like the ones with Nora and June.

Some people would probably call me boring. Politics is my life. I love everything about it. My main goal is to learn more and more about it so I can become a capable politician one day. I even tend to black out any kinds of social events for weeks at a time just to bury myself in my college assignments. Studying makes so much more sense to me than partying. Not that I don't like to party. I do. Sometimes. Well, most of the times, but only with Nora by my side. And if things get messy in my life, I flee by making myself too busy to think. And right now, is one of those times.

My mom and dad have been fighting a lot recently. My sister June is in Europe as a journalist for an online magazine. A huge opportunity for her and I support that, but I don't function well without her. Not that I would ever tell her that.

And instead of dealing with everything and maybe trying to make friends with people at this college, I stay in my dorm or at the library, researching.

But tonight, Nora isn't taking no for an answer.
"Forget it Diaz. You are not staying home!" She grabs my laptop and pulls it away from me. I try to get a hold of it again, in hopes to save my perfectly well planned out stay-at-home-studying-night.

"Hey!" I shout. "I was working!"

"I don't care. You promised me you'd come and meet the girl I've been heavily flirting with. So you are coming!" Nora's hand is on her hip while the other is dangerously balancing my computer. One wrong move from me and she will let it fall. I have no doubt. I sigh and massage the bridge of my nose with my index finger and thumb. There is no getting out of this.

"Fine..." reluctantly I get up and grab my keys to head out the door, participating in this gathering, that I really don't want to be a part of.

"Maybe you should do something about that..." she gestures to the top of my head. My hair is thoroughly messed up after frustratingly running my hands through it for the last few hours that I've been battling with my international relations assignment. I cross my arms over my chest.

"You wanted me to go; I'm going. I don't care if I don't measure up to the standard you want me too just...."

"Alright, calm down." She shakes her head, "jeez you are in a mood today. But fine. Stay stubborn and looking like a scarecrow. But we are going to the bar."

"Fine!" I glare at her.

"Fine!" She stares right back, crossing her arms too. "I love you, you idiot!" She ads sharply.

"I love you too, control freak!" I respond just as sharply.

"Good. Let's go, Sasquatch."

"Fuck you." I mumble and when she turns to leave, I quickly pad down my curls. Just a bit. I really want to fix my hair now, but I won't give her the satisfaction of winning. She would never stop giving me shit about it.

"Nora, you made it!" A girl shouts as we enter. Nora hurries up to her and gives her a hug, and I must admit she looks very sweet and kind and just right for Nora, which is all I can think about as I follow her to the bar where the girl is standing next to a blond - and very beautiful - guy. His face almost looks AI generated with how perfectly symmetrical it is. Complete with high cheekbones and a heart shaped mouth with full pink lips. I instantly want to punch him in his perfect face, because no one should look that beautiful.