-10-

Henry

"Ils doivent se rendre à l'hôpital Paris Saint-Joseph. Ils sont pressés. Merci" I say to the cabdriver, through the front door while the others get inside.

"You speak French?" Alex asks with this look of admiration, and I wish I were able to bask in it, but not today.

"D'accord, tres bien." The cabdriver answers.

"Rapidement..."

"Rapidement." He confirms.

"Merci." I look through the window behind the front seat to talk to the other. "Alright, so he is taking you to the hospital, as fast as possible."

"Wait, you're not coming?"

"No, I figured I'll go get the flat ready."

"Henry..." Alex voice is drenched in fear and desperation. "Please." And that is all he needs to say, to once more change my mind. I take a deep breath as I look up at the sky. God, I hate what this guy does to me.

"Sweetheart," Bea puts her hand on Alex's "Henry hates..."

"It's fine." I interrupt. "I'll come."

"You will?" Bea asks visibly surprised. I look at her, shake my head almost unnoticeably, hoping she understands that I don't want her to say anything and then get into the cab without a word.

"Thank you." Alex whispers and I close my eyes as I let those words fill me up. I need all the strength I can get.

The closer we get to the hospital, the faster my heart begins to beat. Even though it's not the same hospital, it still triggers me. Each and every one look the same. Smells the same.

I pay the cabdriver and follow the others to the entrance. I stop just right outside of the entrance, and I can't even get my own feet to move. Bea, Nora and Alex are all inside already. Then Alex notices I'm missing, and I mentally beg my feet to move, but I'm locked in fear.

"Henry, are you okay?" he asks and I hate that I'm giving him one more thing to worry about.

"I'm fine." I lie. "I'm just... catching my breath."

"Okay." He says and takes my hand. I figure he is going to drag me inside, but he just stays outside with me, holding my hand.

"Alex, you need to go in and find your family." I look at him and he just smiles at me.

"Not without you." And right this moment I know I have to be brave for him. I can see the unraveling in his eyes even though he pretends not to be. He needs me more than ever, and I can't let my old unresolved trauma cause him pain. I just can't.

"Then let's go." I say and finally I'm able to get my feet moving.

Once inside, everything hits me again and my heart starts racing. I cling to his hand as we catch up to the others. Bea caresses my arm while she is clinging to Nora. This isn't fun for her either.

"Where's the reception?" Alex asks while looking around.

"Right there." I point to the sign, just around the corner. "Where it says: ACCUEIL."

"Show of." He squeezes my hand and hurries over there, dragging me with him.

"Hi, I'm Alexander Claremont-Diaz. I'm looking for my sister. June Claremont-Diaz."

"Excusez-moi?" the receptionist says, "Je ne parle pas d'anglais."

"Great." Alex throws his hands in the air. "Why does it have to be French!"

"Bonjour," I say to the receptionist. "il est Alexander Claremont-Diaz et il cherche sa soeur June Claremont-Diaz. Pouvez-vous nous aider?"

"God, that's so hot..." Alex bursts out. I roll my eyes at him and concentrate on the receptionists answer instead, but I can't stop smiling.

"Alright, I say, and the girls join us as I wave them over. She is sending over the doctor to talk to us."

"Fuck." Alex says and his legs give out. I instantly grab him and holds him up. "That's not good. That's not good..."

"Don't panic, love. It's just custom here." I say and glare at Bea until she agrees.

"Yes, don't worry Alex. I'm sure everything is fine."

"You two suck at lying." He mumbles as I guide him to a chair. "But thanks for the effort."

"Monsieur Diaz." A doctor says and Alex gets straight up, not caring that his legs hardly can carry him. I place myself behind him, ready to grab him if he falls. "Votre soeur est actuellement dans un coma médicalement provoqué. Son cerveau était enflé, nous avons donc dû lui laisser le temps de se reposer et de guérir."

"Uhm..." Alex looks back at me.

"She..." I sigh and turn him to face me, "Her brain was swelling, so they put her in a medical induced come."

"What? No..."

"I'm sorry, monsieur." The doctor says with a thick French accent. "I did not know you did not understand French. My apologies. I can take you to see her now, if you wish?"

"Yes. Thank you." Alex says and grabs my hand to drag me along.

"You are family too?"

"No." I say.

"Then sorry. Only family for now."

"They are engaged!" Nora shouts and Alex spins around on the spot. Great, now I have to play the fiancé.

"That doesn't make me family," I say while sending Nora a fuck-you stare.

"Yes, it does." Alex says. "Please, can I bring my fiancé?"

The doctor obviously knows we are lying, but eventually he lets me go with Alex.

Oh, how I wish I hadn't gone with him...

June is lying in the bed with all these machines hooked up to her and it triggers my memories of my father.

"Alex..." I clutch his hand. "I can't go in with you..." I back out of the room. "I can't," I say as I shake my head. Alex follows me out of the room, takes my hand and kisses it. I haven't told him anything about my father, but I think he knows somehow.

"It's okay, Henry. Go back to the others. I'll come out in a moment." He turns to walk back into the room, changes his mind and turns back towards me. "Thank you. For everything. I know it hasn't been easy." Then he kisses me, and my stomach does flipflops. I've never been kissed like this before. I can't explain it, and maybe it's just this situation that is fucking with me, but it is definitely something new. Just as we stop kissing, a blond woman nearly runs me over to hug Alex. I'm guessing it's his mom, so I slowly back out of the way.