⇅𝙲𝚛𝚢𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝙲𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚗' ⇅

Chapter 16: To Creep Or Not to Creep

'𝟿𝟻

▍ Darian followed behind the two authority figures carelessly, observing the Gameboy held in his tiny hands. He was too occupied with catching up on levels in Super Mario Land to realize that they were conversing with each other.

"So you don't want anything for your birthday next week?"

Xianna allowed part of SWV's, That's What I Need chorus to play muffled in the store's speaker before blandly responding. "Mhm."

DeVante watched as she placed different makeup products cautiously in her handbasket and eased down the aisle.

"Nor do you want a party, dinner, or any recognition that it's your birthday?"

"Pretty much."

The day of Xia's birth has never been an excitement. It's a twenty-four period that recognizes the reality that she's getting older, which is a painful fact for her. She would like to deny and ignore it as much as possible.

"Aight, fine." He accepted her denial with a shrug. "Don't you be pressin' me to do shit for mines then when September comes."

Xia paused in her steps and swiftly spun around to face him with a pondering expression. "Okay, fine, maybe just one gift." The woman offered, briefly holding up an index finger.

Planning parties, events, and special occasions is her forte. As long as it wasn't for herself, it's an enjoyment—taking it up as another hobby besides doing makeup and photography.

DeVante adjusted his grip on the handles of bags from various feminine shoe stores. "What you want? You got every damn thing."

"It doesn't matter." She informed, eyes switching from the dark to lighter lipsticks on display. "Long as it isn't cheap, used, or stolen."

His brows raised at the last option. "Stolen? I've never stolen anything in my whole life. Who do I look like? K-Ci?"

Both Xia and Darian exchanged the same facial expressions towards the offended male.

"Dad, didn't you steal from a homeless man before?" Innocently inquired from the five-year-old.

"And you stole from church..." Xia shamefully reminded in a mumble.

"Almost stole Xi," He corrected with emphasis. "Almost. And why y'all gotta bring up old shit."

After his comments, the couple continued browsing down the beauty aisle. Darian was in the process of trailing along until his focus drew to the exit—revealing the newly built mall.