Four | Stained killer

Lunden Evergreen

I waited patiently as I watched the barista begin to mix up my drink. I ordered a hot chocolate; today, it was cooler, and I deemed it a cocoa fit.

I have been waiting 30 minutes for this drink, but once I saw the vanilla cold foam, I knew it had to be mine. Swirling it on top, she snapped on the lid and placed it down with the other orders. But as I went in to grab it, a person got to it before me.

What the fuck?

As I look at the man, I notice that it's no other than Dr.Thayer. As he turns to make his way out, I begin to chase the ass hole down.

"Excuse me, that's mine?" He doesn't even bat an eye as he walks forward, continuing to ignore me. I follow out behind him. "Hey, I paid for that!?!" I heard him chuckle as he walked.

"And I paid for the coffee that you spilled all over your sweater." I halt in my tracks.

"You're kidding?" He turned to face me finally as I stood in disbelief.

"Not in the slightest, Miss Evergreen." He lifted the cup to his lips, sipping the cocoa. I watched as he grimaced at the sweetness and pulled the cup away from his lips.

"Why the hell do you drink so much sugar?" I hated a judgmental man, especially about sugar. I was a healthy woman, but my cocoa was something that calories wouldn't be interfering with.

"Because I can, good for the soul, Dr.Thayer. I believe we are both about to be late to your class?" He checked his watch and nodded, walking forward.

I found myself walking with him in silence, "So, who's the killer we will be studying this semester?" He ignored my question as we continued walking through campus, "What made you decide to study killers?"

"I don't do small talk, Miss Evergreen." Neither did I, but right now, I was less annoyed and felt more awkward.

"It's Lunden, just Lunden," I whispered back, "I hate it when people call me Miss; I feel aged." I began to pick up the pace of my walking and left the man behind to get to class.

It was our third one; I noticed he seemed to stare at me a lot. But I knew it was because he was scheming; this man had a plot in his head. I knew it was to fuck me over, and I should've just dropped his class. But I've been trying to get into it for years.

I pushed open the door to see the full classroom, and I took my same seat. As I sank into the chair, I threw my backpack against the ground.

"You look cheerful," he whispers sarcastically, and I look at that same boy. He frequently spoke to me, and I had yet to know his name. But I didn't want to ask because then he'd assume we were friends. We weren't.

I had one friend here, Eleanor. That's how I liked it. I had acquaintances on campus, but none who would receive the title of being my friend, except maybe Zack.

"Someone just stole my drink from Joe's. I'm beaming with joy." I hear him take in a sharp breath on my behalf. "Yeah, it was fun to lose five dollars and ninety-eight cents." I hear him ruffle his bag. Then, a fruit strip is placed in front of me.

"If you are starving." I stared at the strawberry fruit strip and then at him; I wanted to laugh.

"I feel like I'm in kindergarten; what's next? Are you going to share your juice box with me?"