Fourteen | Angel of Death

Lunden Evergreen

Atlas closed the door behind him, stepping back into the building. I didn't care how I looked, but I was calm, well maybe a little raged with class.

"My friend Zach told me he made Dean's list tonight and so he told me about the event. Forcing me to come here and I just learned he didn't make the Dean's list... he just used me to be my plus one. I know it's silly to get upset over I just-"

"No I get it Lunden... It's hurtful, and I'll handle it" Taking a deep breath he stared through the doors, now he seemed to be getting mad.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I'll handle it. I don't like users or fake people, Lunden. Especially bullies. Go back in there and take your seat. I got this under control." I looked at him, unsure, and as I turned, I remembered.

"I can't go back in there. My makeup is probably smudged, and I look like a mess." I excuse. He brushed my cheek and shook his head.

"You look perfect, Angelo." He turned me to face the doors that guarded me from facing hundreds of people. "You got this," he whispered, and I stepped forward, opening the doors back to the crowded room.

I kept my head down as I headed towards my table and an arm stopped me. I looked up to see Verena worried.

"You okay?"

"No." I admit, "But I will be... I just needed a moment." She nodded and followed me back to the table, lifting a card beside me.

"Guess I'm Miss Angela Moore now." She placed a drink in front of me. "This is for you, by the way. I don't know what you drink, but tequila seemed good for you." I raised my glass and clinked it with hers. People began to flood into their seats, and soon, Atlas joined our table.

"Excuse me, Miss... you seem to be in my seat?" An annoyed student came behind Verena, staring at her. This must've been the alleged Angela.

"I suggest you find Verena Claire's card, or the girl who sits beside you all night will have some problems with you." Verena bit her laugh, staring at the poor girl, and without any more questions, she walked away. She giggled victorious, turning back to me.

"That's Dean Corrigan's daughter," Atlas mumbled, gaining Verena's attention. Sucking in her lips in realization, she grimaces.

"Oops!! " she turned her seat towards the table. "I mean, I'm a senior, so... I got nothing to lose." She offered her arm out across me. And you are?"

"Doctor Atlas Thayer," he stared at her hand and then back up to me, not touching it. "Lunden... if you look over at your old table in about twenty seconds," he hinted. My eyes moved to the abandoned seat with the presumed Ellen. I watched as Zach approached the table, confused.

His eyes scanned the room and landed on me. Confused, he waved at me, and then it happened. A man dressed in black tapped his shoulder.

"Apparently, plus-ones must be with their guests throughout the night. I told them you didn't have a plus-one... that there was some mistake?" I watched as the man spoke to him, and as Zach pointed to me, I turned away. I bit my lip nervously and looked at Verena as she began to laugh.

"Oh, he got him good." I turned back to see Zach being escorted out as people watched.

"Lunden!" He yells my name as I turn back to the table, catching my breath. I heard his yells as they dragged him out of the place. Turning back, he was aggressively trying to get their arms off of him as he was thrown out.

I caught my breath and leaned back in my seat with a satisfied smile. I didn't even feel bad because the feeling of betrayal hurt me even more. I was a strong person, but friendships were a personal trauma.