Twenty Four | Valentine

ᴍᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ
Lunden Evergreen

The sound of dragging takes up the volume of my ears. Though quiet to most, it was the only thing I could currently hear. I forgot my earplugs today and though he wasn't dead yet he was knocked out cold.

I had let him be free and out for a month or so, I was playing it more safe recently with the feds up my ass. Hope had taught me a few new tactics to help me be more stealthy. But I bet dragging a body across a cold rooftop wasn't ideal.

At the edge of the roof, I rested his head against the brick and as he remained asleep I kicked him in his side causing him to gasp.

His eyes shoot open as he quickly reaches for his side, "Good evening Mr.Walker, glad of you to join me" He was the head of a huge ringer here in Boston, killed hundreds yet walked freely among the people.

"Who the fuck are you?" He spat out.

"Someone you'll wish you'd never met" I raise my gun aiming it at his torso, he'd bleed to death in a matter of minutes. The bullets fire and my ears ring, reaching for the tube in my pocket I reveal the crimson shade and as he shutters for breaths, I draw on his forehead.

"It'll take a few minutes to bleed out, it'll be excruciating but the pain will end" I whispered and then spelled the words as he looked up at my hand. Blood leaves his mouth as I trace the letters to spell Murderer.

Stepping back I watch him struggle for his final moments and soon, he stops.

————————————————

I unlock the front door as Pepper's barks fill the house. She rushes to the front door and I throw my backpack onto the coat rack. Today had been a longer day of classes but I'd been back into the swing of things.

Atlas was supposed to be back sometime today. I knew he felt bad, it was my first Valentine's Day with a valentine. Yet he wasn't around to celebrate it.

"You want to go for a walk?" Pepper wags her tail excited in response and I grab her leash and collar. Securing it around her I grab a doggy bag and we head out into the cold.

Pepper was my Valentine.

She'd been a good girl the past few days and more attached to me than ever. I knew she missed him, and so did I.

Commonwealth Ave was more vacant than usual due to the snow against the ground. Pepper was excited by the snow, and as we walked through the small park she walked up excitedly to any person who went passed us, it was cute.

But as she stopped in front of the next person and I looked up, I froze. Elle stood in a fur coat and boots, I knew she recognized Pepper. I felt physically ill with nerves.

"It's you" Her tone had a hint of disgust behind it as she glanced at me up and down.

"Yep, it's me" I hadn't seen her back at the restaurant since she'd last stopped by and I found that to be my blessing.

"Why'd you take him from me?" Her words come flat out. I don't quite know what to say, because never really had him in the first place. He was never hers besides what she believed.