Twelve | A refund

Lunden Evergreen

The sponge blotched the tan foundation against my purple and yellow eyes. There was only so much coverage and makeup that could deal with this scene.

It's been three days since my father came and attacked me, and I still find myself sleeping with one eye open, as someone who's not afraid of anything and makes a person fear everything. It was weird how my life had shifted. I hadn't seen Dr.Thayer since I left his place and the weekend kept me company.

I still couldn't believe that all happened. That my father, after years of being absent, showed up to give me a piece of his mind just for deciding to stick to what he originally wanted—not to exist in my life.

My father's life wouldn't be longer than it should be. I'd make sure of it. I craved a seething revenge, where he regrets more than just me being born. That he died brutally and knows who was his killer and who he hurt. I never asked to exist, but yet here I was anyway.

My face remained patched up with makeup and eye bags. My goal for today was to make it to the dining hall and then back to my bed. Once I made it back to campus, I stayed in my dorm. I didn't fear if he showed up again for me, but I feared what I'd do to him.

A light knock on my door left me confused, and I quietly crept towards it. Looking through the peephole, a delivery man stood. It was weird. Usually, packages would go to the delivery room. But a man stood, confusing me further, and as I slowly opened the door, he looked up.

"I need you to sign. Are you Lunden Evergreen?" Skeptically, I nod. With the door cracked and the chain in lock, he hands me the clipboard. After reading the terms and conditions, I sign and accept the package. Bringing it inside my dorm, I set the mid-sized package on my desk.

I didn't order anything.

Skeptically, I peel open the box to see an expensive brand on top and a letter on the side of it. Confused, I take the white envelope and rip open the letter.

Dear Lunden,

I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I hope you'll reconsider the holidays.

- Dad

I stare at the letter in his wife's handwriting with a knot in my stomach. That seething revenge feeling felt more intense. Knowing that she knew what her husband did to his child, and decided to remain by his side. I knew it wasn't from him; I'd memorized his handwriting from his birthday cards as a child.

His previous apology letters for absences from big events. He couldn't even apologize to his daughter for beating her. But that's the thing, I was no longer his daughter and an apology was pathetic, he knew that.

He should be hoping I don't reconsider pressing charges. His wife only wanted me there to pretend to be one big happy family. I wasn't down to play house in a big, empty one where I wasn't welcome.

Lifting open the box, I saw a new pair of expensive headphones along with a comfy luxury scarf sitting in it. Ironic it was: headphones in place of the ones he broke and a scarf to cover his bruises. His wife Melinda had a way with gifts, one that seriously disgusted me.

Chuckling, I package up the box and throw on my coat. My plans have changed today, and I'll be going to the store to cash in on returns. A five-hundred-dollar scarf and headphones would give me a pocketed thousand dollars. I guess Melinda did have a way with gifts; she knew how to pick the expensive ones.