14

DO YOU REGRET THE THINGS WE SHARED THAT I'LL NEVER FORGET?
WELL, DO YOU? TELL ME THAT

Teacher's Pet - Melanie Martinez

"He said unless we tell him who brought in the magazine, the whole class gets detention every Thursday for the rest of term," Pichon said as the whole class swiftly followed him, I walked behind him.

"So we all get detention, right?" Dupin spoke "The whole class."

"Even the girls!?" I exclaimed frustratingly and we all stopped walking "Everybody."

"But that's not fair!" Simone exclaimed behind me and I snapped "I'm not getting done because of Descamps." 

He scoffed offended "It wasn't me who brought it in." He looked down at me and I scowled crossing my arms "Well that's a first."

"Why are you such a bitch all of a sudden." He spat and my mouth hung open out of disbelief and Simone put a hand on my shoulder.

"Wait, so Dupin brought the magazine in." Michele interrupted and I shot Descamps a dirty look before diverting my head away.

"Yeah, and Vergoux." Felbec spoke before he got shoved "Hey, Dean's niece and poindexter, no one asked you." Vergoux replied in offense.

I rolled my eyes not bothering the argument anymore and walked away not long before a hand on my arm pulled me back.

It was Descamps and I yanked my arm out of his grip "I'm really not in the mood right now." "But-" I walked away looking back and I could see him with an agitated expression muttering, his hands in his pockets, like always.

I dreaded going home, it was time to dye my hair again after just a few weeks and my mother made a whole fuss about it each time. I love my mom and I would jump through a fire for her but this gets me so irritated.

"I'm home!" I yelled and my mother's voice echoed through the big house "Just on time, dinner is ready! I made your favorite." I could hear the smile through her sentence.

It made mine appear as well and I went to take my jacket off as well as my shoes, joining my mom for the meal she made for us.

I had just about gotten all of the hair dye out before it was my natural color, red again, it took me a while because when I looked out of the window, it was dark and it was pouring rain.

I could only dream of letting it stay this way and I took in the reflection of myself, knowing I wasn't gonna see the real me for a little while.

I smiled with a towel in my hand drying my hair walking through the big hall in a nightgown before the doorbell went, my ears perked and I yelled to my mother "I'll get it!" 

I didn't think twice as I opened the door, and I was met with a drenched Descamps.

My eyes widened and so did his before he spoke "Katherine.. your hair.." 

"Joseph.. what are you doing here?" I said slowly changing the subject trying to process what was happening.

"I.. uhm I wanted to talk to you about something.." He looked at me intently and I took a deep breath, my eyes met his and I could see him gulp by his Adam's apple.

"Katherine? Who is it?" My mother yelled from upstairs putting in the earrings she had newly bought.

"It's no one!" I answered back "Now is not a good time.." I spoke and he rolled his eyes turning around "It's never a good time with you, Katherine." 

I furrowed my eyebrows crossing my arms "What do you mean by that?" 

He was halfway down the steps of my house as it still rained, each drop adding to the tension that hung in the air, the wet pavement glistened under the glow of dim streetlights.

He turned around "Why do you keep sending me these mixed signals, Katherine?" Joseph's voice cut through the sound of raindrops hitting the ground. 

His frustration was visible, and the streams of rain mingled with the tension on his face.

I was frustrated and closed the door behind me stepping out into the rain, nightgown, bare feet and all, god it was cold. "Mixed signals? Maybe you're just too dense to understand anything beyond your own ego."

The rain intensified, a fitting backdrop to the storm brewing between us. Joseph stepped closer, the raindrops clinging to his hair and clothes and only about 20 centimeters between us. 

"Don't play games with me, Katherine. One moment, it's hostility, and the next, it's something else. What are you trying to prove?"

My soaked red hair framed my face and I met his gaze with a challenging stare "Prove? Maybe I'm just living my life, and you can't handle that I don't fit into the neat little box you've assigned me."

The rain seemed to heighten the intensity of our emotions, blurring the lines between anger and something more complex. The air flowed with unspoken words.

Joseph, frustration etched on his face, retorted, "You can't deny there's something between us, Katherine. You can't just keep pushing and pulling, it's making me crazy."

My composure momentarily faltered, and I shot back without thinking "There's nothing between us. You're delusional if you think otherwise."

The moment I had spoken these words, I immediately regretted them.

Joseph's gaze hardened, hurt flickering in his eyes, and for a moment, I glimpsed a vulnerability I had rarely seen. 

The raindrops seemed to magnify the weight of my impulsive words as they hung between us.

He took a step back, his voice laced with a bitter edge. "Fine, Katherine. If that's how you see it, then we'll keep it that way."

The regret settled like a heavy stone in the pit of my stomach. I had pushed him away, and the truth was, I didn't want to. 

In the midst of our heated exchange, I had revealed more about my own fears than I intended.

As he turned to leave, the distance between us felt like an unbridgeable abyss. The rain continued its relentless coming down, mirroring the confusion inside me. I called out after him, my voice barely audible over the rain.

"Wait, Joseph, I didn't mean-" My words trailed off, lost in the sound of the rain and the distance that had already grown between us.

The realization of my words hung in the air, and I was left standing alone in the downpour, drenched in both rain and the regret of an uncontrolled moment. 

The fine line we had walked, the delicate balance between hostility and something unspoken, now felt beyond repair.

― THE SLOW BURN IS SLOWBURNING OH MY DAYS EVEN I AM FRUSTRATED

30K!??!?!?!??! YOU'RE KIDDINGGGG

I LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU, AND I LOVE YALL FOR SHARING THE STORY WITH OTHERS MAKES ME FEEL SO APPRECIATED AND I LOVE READING ALL YOUR COMMENTS

SUGGESTION BOX :