17

I GUESS THAT I DON'T NEED THAT THOUGH
NOW, YOU'RE JUST SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW

Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye, Kimbra

I hadn't heard from Simone today, I waited by the phone. Nothing.

I was worried sick, I kept pacing around my room until I had enough, I rung her myself.

After waiting for about a minute I was about to hang up until I heard a voice crack "Hello?"

"Simone? Simone, is that you?" I smiled relieved "Yes, it's me, Kathy." Her voice was raspy and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Are you okay, Simone?" I took the phone in my hands and placed it on the little table by my wardrobe.

"Kathy, I-" She broke down and my stomach fell.

"Don't do anything, Simone. I'm coming." I hung up before putting on the first clothes I could find.

I rang her doorbell and she opened it, her face stained with tears, and my expression changed to one of sympathy.

I led her to the couch where I sat down, putting a pillow on my lap where she could lay her head down.

She sobbed for a while when I cleared my throat "What happened, Simone?" My voice soft, almost like a whisper and she took a deep breath.

"I- I had a miscarriage." The direction of my face shot down, almost choked on air "You were pregnant!? But how..?" I exclaimed confused.

"Jean-Pierre and I.. weren't as careful as we thought we were and-" "Oh, Simone." I put my arms around her rubbing her back.

"I'm assuming you still haven't told Michele about you two or Jean-Pierre about the miscarriage." I asked softly.

Simone shook her head, her eyes filled with a mixture of pain and fear. "I'm scared, Kathy. I don't want them to leave me," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper.

I tightened my embrace around her, offering what comfort I could. "It's going to be okay, Simone. We'll figure this out. You don't have to face it alone."

She sniffled, wiping away tears. "I don't know how to tell them, Kathy. I never expected this to happen."

I continued to gently rub her back, my mind racing with thoughts on how to support Simone through this situation. "You don't have to rush into anything. Take your time, and when you're ready, we'll face it together. You have me who cares about you."

Simone managed a weak smile, grateful for the support. "Thank you, Kathy. I don't know what I'd do without you."

I hugged her a little tighter, silently vowing to be there for her every step of the way. The weight of the revelation lingered in the room.

"Jean-Pierre is coming over. I think I'll tell him first." She sat back up fiddling with her thumbs.

I nodded "If you're ready, do it." She wept her tears and turned to me "Enough about me, I need something positive."

We chuckled lightly and I took a deep breath
"I think there's something between me and Joseph.."

Simone's eyes widened in surprise. "Who, Joseph? The Joseph from our class, the one we hate?"

I nodded, feeling a mix of confusion and realization. "I know, it's ridiculous. He's been the biggest dick to me for the longest time, but lately, things have been different. There's this strange force pulling me towards him, and I can't explain it. I keep pushing him away."