Up and down

On Sunday we play our match against Bristol. Ellie is still in the hospital but she sent me a message before the match wishing me good luck. I like that she thought about that. It's just two more days until I will take her home. I can't wait for that day.

Throughout the entire match my head is mostly focused. Bristol is a rather easy opponent to take so we don't have that much trouble. After the former half we are already 3-0 up. These are the days when being a defender is pretty boring. I don't have anything to do anymore and basically just walk around. The only time I can do something is when we get a corner kick. In the second half Beth scores a goal just after 5 minutes. At this point we already won. Everyone knows it but we still want a few more goals. I think about Ellie watching from the hospital. I hope I can at least bring a smile on her face with that match.
We are heading towards the end of the match as we get another corner. I go up front and stand in front of the goal. Steph kicks the ball in the box and it comes perfectly at me. I jump a bit and head it into the goal without a chance for the goalkeeper. This doesn't happen very often so I'm really happy about my goal. It was a good header. Everyone comes together to high five and I get a few pats on the head. We are now at 5-0. That is how we also end the match. It was a good performance with a happy ending.

After the match we all stand together and then walk around the pitch. I go to the bench and get my phone from my jacket. Just a few minutes later, Ellie calls me up. I knew she would do that. She told me she would call me right away. I pick up and see a smiley Ellie on my phone. It's good to see her that happy.

"Hi baby." I say.

"Hi champion." She chuckles. I have to laugh at her calling me champion. It sounds so childish.

"How are you?"

"I'm good. Look what I'm wearing." She turns the camera down a bit and I see that she is wearing the Arsenal shirt that I gave her. It's actually my original shirt from our Continental cup final last year.

"It suits you." I smile. She looks great in red and to think that it is my shirt makes it even better. The way she is supporting me is so sweet.

"A nurse came in and I told her that my girlfriend is on the team. She was impressed." She proudly tells me.

"Flexing with your girlfriend, huh?" I laugh.

"You are a pretty hot flex." She says.

"Stop it." I whisper at the phone since I'm still in public on the pitch.

"Sorry. Will you visit me today?" She asks. I struggle to answer. Beth invited me to a dinner with the team. I don't want her to feel like I wouldn't care.

"I... umm... I wanted to but Beth invited me to dinner." I nervously say.

"Okay."

"Okay? You are not mad?" I ask.

"Leah, you are allowed to spend time with your friends and celebrate your victory. I'm not a baby that you need to take care of. I can wait til tomorrow to see you or til later so you call me. I need my virtual good night kiss." She says. I'm glad she is so understanding about that. I was worried she would feel bad.

"I will definitely call you and virtually kiss you good night." I smile.

"Okay then have fun now and call me when you are home."

"I will. I love you." I say.

"I love you. Bye, Le." She purses her lips and sends a kiss to the camera.

"Bye." I smile with rosy cheeks. I already look forward to calling her again in the evening. Right now it's time to just enjoy this and spend some time with my mates.