Surprise

Today is the day of our first appointment at the gynaecologist to see our baby. I'm excited and scared. I just hope everything is going to be fine. Ever since I have known about the pregnancy I treated Ellie with even more gentle hands. She said she can do everything as normal but I don't want to put her at any risk. Luckily we quickly got an appointment now so we can know if everything is fine.

We are getting out of the car and I immediately grab Ellies hand. She looks at me with a huge smile. I can't wait for this.

"Whatever will happen now, I love you and I'm proud of you." I say at her right before we go in. Ellie steps up to me and gives me a kiss.

"I want you to always know that this isn't just me. You also got a part in this." She says at me. I love that she always reminds me of that. I love the thought of her carrying my baby. My heart already is beating so fast out of pure joy. I can't wait to tell people about this.

We sit in the waiting room and I keep playing around with Ellies rings. I'm so nervous. What if something is wrong? How should I react? I need to be there for Ellie but what about me. I want this baby to be fine. I just want it to be fine. I fear that there will be something wrong with it. Maybe it's because of me. What if it's a girl and she gets endometriosis because of me? I have to stop thinking about this.

"Le? Are you okay?" Ellie asks and lays her hand on my knee.

"Yeah. I'm just a bit nervous."

"You don't have to be. We will be fine." She smiles at me. I want to believe her but what if not?

We don't have much time to think since we get called into the room of the doctor just a bit later. She is very friendly in the beginning and asks us how we found out and when. Then she tells us that she will make an ultrasound and a blood test with Ellie to check on everything. I'm mainly excited about the ultrasound. I can't wait to see the baby even though it's probably just a tiny spot. The doctor gets the ultrasound ready. I sit by Ellies sind and hold her hand. My heart is beating up to my ear. I feel Ellie gently squeezing my hand.

"Let's see where the little one is." She says and starts to check everything. We can't see the screen at first which is why I keep looking at the doctors face to see her reaction. I stroke over Ellies knuckles to calm us both down. Why is this taking so long?

"Oh." The doctor suddenly says with a surprised face. I immediately get scared.

"What? Is something wrong?" Ellie asks in a scared voice. My breathing stops.

"No, everything looks great but it seems like you will not just have one baby." She says. What is she talking about? What does that mean?

"What?" I look at Ellie. We are both completely confused. The doctor turns the screen at us. As expected there is hardly anything visible on there.

"Do you see that?" She points at a black spot.

"Yeah."

"That's your baby." She says. Then she points at another spot next to it. "And that's your other baby."

"I'm sorry what? Our other baby?" Ellie asks. We have two?

"Yeah, it looks like you are having twins." The doctor says. I didn't expect that at all. I look at Ellie and she looks up at me with a happy smile. I have tears in my eyes again. I never thought this would happen but it makes me so happy. It's like our first and second try both worked now.

"And they are both fine?" Ellie asks.

"They look perfect. They are right where they should be and completely healthy. You'll get a picture." She says. I can't believe that I experience this. I lean down to kiss Ellies forehead.