Chapter 31: a whirlpool of feelings?

We stayed like that for a little while before James decided to get up.

"What are you doing, James?" I asked with a pout.

"Greet the night, of course!" He said, and I smiled.

"Well. I guess you're right. I am getting hungry." I said and got up as well.

"Shall we dine together, my love?" He asked and kissed my hand.

"I would be delighted, my dear." I said, mimicking his tone.

I watched him get dressed as he spoke, "I have some clothes that you might like. They are more in the style of my time, I'd say. Nevertheless, I think you'd look ravishing in them, darling."

I blushed at his words and hugged him from behind. "I'd love to try them on then." I whispered in his ear, and he turned to give me a rough kiss. Then he dissappeared.
It was strange, watching him dissolve into thin air, like he was never there to begin with. Before I could think about it too much, James returned with some very old but well-preserved clothes.

"I'm not going to lie to you. They belonged to Elizabeth. But that was more than one century ago." He said and laid the exquisite garments on the bed.

I only nodded and looked through them carefully. Beautiful 1920s outfits spread out before me.
I picked up one piece of clothing I liked especially and asked James to let me try it on in private. For the effect of course.

Once I was done putting it on, I lightly called for James. He reappeared within seconds and seemed speechless.

"Do I look okay?" I asked while doing a little twirl for him.

"No. Not at all, love." He said in a more threatening tone, and I was scared he hated what he saw.
"Y/n. Look at me." He demanded, and I felt scared to look him in the eye.
"I said. Look at me." He repeated, and I obeyed.
"You never look 'okay.' Do you understand that?" He asked, and I furrowed my eyebrows.
"Because to me. You'll always look ravishing." He said and lifted me up.

I felt releaved. Somehow, I was scared to have upset him.