Chapter 29: new roommates

All in all, it was fun showing James the new stuff I got.
But I couldn't get rid of what Donovan had said about the rooms... he was right. This room sucked. Being so close to that detective couldn't be good for long.

"What's on your mind, my love?" James asked and pulled me from my thoughts.

"Oh, I don't want to trouble you, James." I said, but deep down, I wanted to trouble him with my thoughts.

"Don't be silly. Go on, tell me." He insisted, and my heart fluttered.

"Well. Donovan asked if I wanted to move in with him. The apartment would be more fitting for me, he said. And I kind of agree." I explained, and James looked like he was thinking very hard.
"Don't get me wrong. I like being close to one of your rooms....but this one's just not it." I tried to find the right words, but what came out wasn't it.

The silence was loud, and I felt ashamed to have even brought it up. Maybe he was angry now. The thoughts started spiraling, but then he spoke again.

"It seems he is right. This room is..." he looked around. "Far from the glory it once held." James sat down in one of the chairs. "I'm afraid there's no room next to mine that would be worthy of your presence." I gasped and felt my heart skip a beat. "Don't deny it, y/n. You know, I mean what I say."

"Well...what about....your room?" I asked quietly. His head popped up, and his eyes were almost black.

"My room?" He asked, and I saw his cheeks redden.

"I don't know why I even asked that. Forget about it. That was silly. I'm sorry." I stuttered out and felt embarrassed.

"Would you... want to stay with me?" He asked and stood up. "Because I would actually like that... a lot." He added carefully.

"You would?" I asked, and he hugged me.

"Oh, of course, y/n. You know I love you." He exclaimed excitedly.

"Then, would you help me with my things?" I asked, and he let go of me.

"Why, of course, my darling!" He said loudly and began to pack my things for me.