Chapter 36: early owl

We talked for a while but headed to our rooms not too long after Sally had another one of her jealousy-rage- filled outbursts.

"Tonight was nice." I said and smiled at James.

He was getting ready for bed, "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." He said with a thin smile.
I started to get undressed, and he watched. Now, his smile was becoming wider again.

"What are you smiling about?" I asked while getting ready for bed.

"You, my darling. I'm just glad you're here with me." He said, and I felt my heart melt.

We fell asleep together.
However, when I woke up, James wasn't there with me. The bedside next to me was empty. The sheets were made, there was no trace of him anywhere in our room.
The blinds were closed, but I could tell that the sun was still out. There was no going back to sleep. Once awake, it was almost impossible to fall asleep again.
I got ready for the day and decided to wear something I bought with Donovan.
I texted him but was almost certain that he'd be asleep.
I then texted Liz and asked her what she was doing. Instead of replying like a normal human, she called me.

"What are you doing?" I asked and could practically feel her roll her eyes.

"Calling you." She said.

"But why? Couldn't you just text back?" I asked, and she laughed sarcastically.

"No. Y/n. I'm old. I don't do texting." She said, and I laughed.
"Anyway. Why are you up? The sun is just beginning to set." She said

"It is? I could only see a bit of light through the blinds." I said, and she groaned.

"Well, it is. So you can safely get your ass down here and enlighten me with your presence." She said and didn't even wait for my answer. She just hung up.