AA2

The weekend finally arrived, landing Amil away from campus and back home. Usually, she strived to go back every couple of weeks, but that schedule was altered due to her little sister's baby shower. Going back home wasn't a big hassle and didn't require much, being that Amil is a Houston native. She wasn't sure where she was born, but she was 3rd ward raised and repped it like her life depended on it.

"What instrument you think that is?" Teddy, her grandfather questioned while briefly looking over at her. My Little Brown Book by Duke Ellington and John Coltrane filled the vehicle. Teddy was a lover of Jazz, and instrumental style music. Since Amil was a child, their car rides would always have brief intermissions where Teddy would quiz her on her knowledge of music. "A saxophone." Amil answered. Teddy slightly tipped his head forward before letting out a chuckle.

"That's so surface level—think deeper." He replied. Amil pursed her lips together before looking off into the traffic surrounding them. Truthfully, she wasn't paying much attention to the music, her mind was fixated on Landon and the last interaction that they had. "Every instrument is pretty straightforward. I hear the sax, an alto sax, a trombone, and drum cymbals—and a piano." Amil replied, causing her grandfather to smile.

Momentarily, they arrived in front of Amil's childhood home. Her grandparents owned it, and never missed the opportunity to tell people that they had no plans of leaving it. A one story home that had modern renovations. Amil's eyes immediately gravitated toward the pink decorations that her family put up for the baby shower that was set to happen tomorrow afternoon.

"I'll get your bag, you just go in the house and talk to your meme." Teddy announced while opening the trunk of his car. Amil sat her purse on her shoulder and traveled up the walkway that lead to the front door. She used her manicured pointer finger to hit the ring doorbell before slightly stepping back and placing her hands on her hips.

"My baby!" Laura exclaimed through the ring doorbell, causing Amil to chuckle. Seconds later, she appeared in front of the screen door with a smile on her face as she pushed it open. Laura then pulled her into a hug, and slightly rocked them side to side. The Moneybagg Yo lyric "Mama worked all the time I was a grandma baby." Always hit home for Amil, because that was her reality. Her father took on the responsibility of taking after her for about a month before he realized that he needed a village. She was raised by her grandparents. For as long as she could remember, her grandparents were her guardians.

Amil felt like she had a very different story. She didn't know who her mother was, or if she was dead or alive. She heard of people not knowing their fathers, but it was mostly unorthodox to not know the woman who formed you for nine months and went through the dangerous process of pushing you out, giving you life and bringing you into the world.

Amil was fed the story that explained her mother dropping her off at her father's doorstep and never returning or explaining. Amil went through her phase of asking questions about her mother, but her father didn't have much knowledge, as he was playing basketball overseas when he met Amil's mother and had an array of women he was seeing at the time, which meant he never took the time to get to know her. Years down the line, he discovered that he didn't even know her government name, making things even crazier for Amil.

Upon entering the home, her nose was greeted by the scent of the food Laura was preparing for the shower. It wasn't an event hosted by her if there wasn't a plethora of homemade baked goods being served. Each sweet treat was laid out, either waiting to be glazed or iced. "Amil." A voice called out, causing her to look up from the treat table. In front of her was her sister, Brianna and her perfectly round pregnant belly.

It was weird to see her 15 year old sister take on such a task. She still had the face of a child, but grown woman responsibilities. Amil figured it was what transpired when you lived with your grandparents and how the stigma was somewhat true. "Hey." Amil smiled, opening her arms to initiate a hug.